Oct 7, 2011, 6:55 PM EDT
Scherzer certainly would have been the No. 2 starter originally if not for his relief appearance in Thursday’s Game 5 against the Yankees, but the Tigers originally decided to push him to Game 4 after the outing. One can guess that he showed up feeling especially good today, causing the Tigers to move him back up.
So, the new rotation is Justin Verlander, Scherzer, Doug Fister and Porcello. It means that Scherzer, rather than Porcello, will get two starts if the series goes at least six games, which seems like a significant plus for the Tigers.
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 9
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 14
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 23
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 30
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 82
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 60
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)