Stop me if you’ve heard this one: team owner to get divorce, finds himself in sea of financial troubles
Oct 7, 2011, 1:30 PM EST
A team owner with nine houses and three-dozen other properties scattered around the world? Crazy spending on cars and baubles? An acrimonious divorce that could impact the course of the franchise? Nah, not Los Angeles. Seattle.
Geoff Baker has the story of Mariners’ minority owner Chris Larson. A man who, it has long been thought, would one day take over the team from absentee owner Hiroshi Yamauchi. A man who, despite being worth millions, has racked up debts of nearly a quarter of a billion dollars. Because, despite owning some 19 million shares of Microsoft stock from his days as an early-employee, Larson borrowed against them to invest in real estate and live what appears to be a crazy-extravagant lifestyle.
I don’t think I’ll ever understand rich people. Not at all. The way it should work is that you get rich. You get a nice place to live. One nice place. Maybe one for your parents if they’re still around. Buy a decent car. Take some trips. Eat at some nice restaurants and go to ballgames. You should be able to manage all of that on the rounding error of a fortune amassed by 19 million shares of Microsoft stock.
Why does it always have to be so complicated?
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 148
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (151)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)