Stop me if you’ve heard this one: team owner to get divorce, finds himself in sea of financial troubles
Oct 7, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
A team owner with nine houses and three-dozen other properties scattered around the world? Crazy spending on cars and baubles? An acrimonious divorce that could impact the course of the franchise? Nah, not Los Angeles. Seattle.
Geoff Baker has the story of Mariners’ minority owner Chris Larson. A man who, it has long been thought, would one day take over the team from absentee owner Hiroshi Yamauchi. A man who, despite being worth millions, has racked up debts of nearly a quarter of a billion dollars. Because, despite owning some 19 million shares of Microsoft stock from his days as an early-employee, Larson borrowed against them to invest in real estate and live what appears to be a crazy-extravagant lifestyle.
I don’t think I’ll ever understand rich people. Not at all. The way it should work is that you get rich. You get a nice place to live. One nice place. Maybe one for your parents if they’re still around. Buy a decent car. Take some trips. Eat at some nice restaurants and go to ballgames. You should be able to manage all of that on the rounding error of a fortune amassed by 19 million shares of Microsoft stock.
Why does it always have to be so complicated?
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 0
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 13
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 68
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)