Stop me if you’ve heard this one: team owner to get divorce, finds himself in sea of financial troubles
Oct 7, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
A team owner with nine houses and three-dozen other properties scattered around the world? Crazy spending on cars and baubles? An acrimonious divorce that could impact the course of the franchise? Nah, not Los Angeles. Seattle.
Geoff Baker has the story of Mariners’ minority owner Chris Larson. A man who, it has long been thought, would one day take over the team from absentee owner Hiroshi Yamauchi. A man who, despite being worth millions, has racked up debts of nearly a quarter of a billion dollars. Because, despite owning some 19 million shares of Microsoft stock from his days as an early-employee, Larson borrowed against them to invest in real estate and live what appears to be a crazy-extravagant lifestyle.
I don’t think I’ll ever understand rich people. Not at all. The way it should work is that you get rich. You get a nice place to live. One nice place. Maybe one for your parents if they’re still around. Buy a decent car. Take some trips. Eat at some nice restaurants and go to ballgames. You should be able to manage all of that on the rounding error of a fortune amassed by 19 million shares of Microsoft stock.
Why does it always have to be so complicated?
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 76
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)