Stop me if you’ve heard this one: team owner to get divorce, finds himself in sea of financial troubles
Oct 7, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
A team owner with nine houses and three-dozen other properties scattered around the world? Crazy spending on cars and baubles? An acrimonious divorce that could impact the course of the franchise? Nah, not Los Angeles. Seattle.
Geoff Baker has the story of Mariners’ minority owner Chris Larson. A man who, it has long been thought, would one day take over the team from absentee owner Hiroshi Yamauchi. A man who, despite being worth millions, has racked up debts of nearly a quarter of a billion dollars. Because, despite owning some 19 million shares of Microsoft stock from his days as an early-employee, Larson borrowed against them to invest in real estate and live what appears to be a crazy-extravagant lifestyle.
I don’t think I’ll ever understand rich people. Not at all. The way it should work is that you get rich. You get a nice place to live. One nice place. Maybe one for your parents if they’re still around. Buy a decent car. Take some trips. Eat at some nice restaurants and go to ballgames. You should be able to manage all of that on the rounding error of a fortune amassed by 19 million shares of Microsoft stock.
Why does it always have to be so complicated?
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 16
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (131)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)