Yankees have struggled in playoffs against non-Twins teams

Oct 7, 2011, 3:47 PM EDT

joe girardi and ron gardenhire

I’m a Minnesotan and so it has seemed at times like the Yankees are unbeatable in the playoffs, but it turns out they haven’t been so good when they’re not beating up on the Twins.

During the past 10 seasons the Yankees’ playoff record is 12-2 against the Twins and 26-34 against all other teams.

In terms of series, the Yankees are 4-0 versus the Twins and 3-8 versus everyone else.

New Yorkers should probably join me in rooting for the Twins to turn things around in 2012.

1. bigleagues - Oct 7, 2011 at 4:18 PM

I hate to keep harping on this, but I guess it’s pretty hard to ‘buy championships’ after all.

BTW, am I the only one who no longer see’s the ‘notify if their are follow-up comments’ check box?

• paperlions - Oct 7, 2011 at 4:31 PM

What you can buy is a high likelihood of a spot in the playoffs….after that, it is pretty much a crap shoot…..but if you bought your way into the playoffs…by extension, you bought the championship (if you won).

• bigleagues - Oct 7, 2011 at 8:08 PM

I’ll agree that with a higher payroll, a team can more easily have better players overall 1-25 than a team with a far lesser payroll.

I just have trouble with the phrase “bought/buying a championship”. It implies that a team ownership rigged the season and post-season in their favor with pay-offs.

My point is there is no certainty of winning anything. There are several high payroll teams that are futile in their attempts to “buy a championship”.

It’s just not that easy to do.

• paperlions - Oct 7, 2011 at 8:18 PM

To me, it implies that they bought talent drafted and developed by other teams rather than developing their own….the core of this Yankee team is bought, not developed.

2. ThatGuy - Oct 7, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Oh boy what I wouldn’t have given to be swept by the Yankee’s this year. It was brutal rooting for the Twunks.

• wlschneider09 - Oct 7, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Amen brother.

3. jackkoho - Oct 7, 2011 at 5:37 PM

The teams that make the playoffs are the best teams in the league, so its going to be hard to have a great winning percentage against them, even if you are the new york yankees.

4. proudlycanadian - Oct 7, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Thanks for the daily smile Aaron.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2967)