Oct 7, 2011, 12:18 AM EDT
The fine folks at STATS Inc. shared this nugget of information shortly after Yankees outfielder Nick Swisher chased an outside pitch with the bases loaded in the bottom of the seventh inning of Thursday’s 3-2 Game 5 loss to the Tigers:
Swisher is 1 for 31 with 10 Ks with runners in scoring position over 38 career postseason games.
“Clutch” is a myth, but that’s a startling stat.
Swisher finished 1-for-4 in the Game 5 defeat and went just 4-for-19 (.211) in the series. But he’s not the only Bronx Bomber that missed major chances in the first-round departure. There’s plenty of blame to go around.
Alex Rodriguez went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts in Thursday night’s loss, leaving three runners on base. He fanned at a pitch down the heart of the plate to end it and wound up 2-for-18 (.111) for the series.
Derek Jeter missed a go-ahead home run by about three feet in the bottom of the eighth. He went 1-for-5.
Russell Martin was 0-for-4 with two strikeouts and left four runners on base. He batted .176 in the series.
The Yankees had a number of promising scoring opportunities Thursday and a lineup paid to convert those chances into runs, but — for whatever reason — they came up short. A-Rod is sure to get most of the blame because of his hefty contract and past failures, but those seeking a scapegoat will find a range of options.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)