Oct 7, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
In last night’s Tigers-Yankees game we saw both managers turn to top-of-the-rotation starters in relief roles and Zack Greinke may join the fun tonight.
Greinke threw just 86 pitches in his Game 2 start Sunday, so the fact that he’d be pitching on full rest and a modest recent workload means he might even be available for multiple innings.
Greinke hasn’t made a relief appearance since 2007, but he was dominant out of the Royals’ bullpen that season with a 3.54 ERA and 55/15 K/BB ratio in 53 innings spread over 38 appearances.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)