Oct 7, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
In last night’s Tigers-Yankees game we saw both managers turn to top-of-the-rotation starters in relief roles and Zack Greinke may join the fun tonight.
Greinke threw just 86 pitches in his Game 2 start Sunday, so the fact that he’d be pitching on full rest and a modest recent workload means he might even be available for multiple innings.
Greinke hasn’t made a relief appearance since 2007, but he was dominant out of the Royals’ bullpen that season with a 3.54 ERA and 55/15 K/BB ratio in 53 innings spread over 38 appearances.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (118)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)