Oct 8, 2011, 10:37 PM EST
A fairly sizable rain storm is now making its way through the Dallas-Fort Worth area, so the Rangers’ groundscrew has rolled out the tarp and put a temporary halt to Game 1 of the ALCS. There’s been no estimate as to when the action might resume.
The Rangers took a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the second inning courtesy of a David Murphy RBI triple and an Ian Kinsler RBI single. Rejuvenated slugger Nelson Cruz then pushed the lead to 3-0 with a towering solo shot to left field in the fourth.
Rangers lefty C.J. Wilson has scattered five hits and fanned six batters over four scoreless innings, but his night will be ended prematurely if the rain sticks around for more than a couple of minutes. Tigers ace Justin Verlander, who has surrendered three earned runs in four innings of work, might also be finished.
UPDATE, 9:53pm: Joe Torre told the FOX broadcast that the delay will probably last between 25-30 minutes.
UPDATE, 10:02pm: The tarp has been rolled off. Game 1 of the ALCS should be back underway shortly.
UPDATE, 10:23pm: The game has resumed. Wilson will remain on the mound for the Rangers, but it looks like Verlander is coming out. Rick Porcello, scheduled to start Game 4, is warming in the visitors ‘pen.
UPDATE, 10:37pm: The tarp is being rolled back out, with the rain falling harder than ever. Wilson seemed to lose his command while waiting out the first delay and has now allowed two runs in the top of the fifth inning. The Tigers, down 3-2, have the bases loaded and will be looking to pour on more when play resumes.
UPDATE, 11:19pm: The tarp is coming off. Game 1 of the ALCS is expected to resume around 11:45 p.m. ET. Mike Gonzalez will replace Wilson and Porcello will take the mound for the Tigers.
UPDATE, 11:44pm: Play has finally resumed. Gonzalez will face Tigers catcher Alex Avila in the fifth.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 6
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 57
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 58
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 46
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)