Oct 8, 2011, 11:02 AM EDT
UPDATE: The Orioles have confirmed that Andy MacPhail has decided to walk away.
11:02 AM: This flew a little bit under the radar with all the excitement of the Diamondbacks-Brewers and Cardinals-Phillies yesterday, but Andy MacPhail will indeed step down as Orioles’ president. According to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, he is leaving the team to tend to family and personal obligations.
Most expected MacPhail to walk away following the season, but Connolly reports that Orioles owner Peter Angelos tried to convince him to stick around after a meeting last Thursday. However, those efforts proved unsuccessful.
No word on who might replace MacPhail, but Orioles manager Buck Showalter is not expected to leave the dugout for the front office.
While MacPhail is regarded as one of the most respected executives in the game, the Orioles struggled miserably during his four-plus years at the helm, going 307-432 with four consecutive last-place finishes.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 58
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 63
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process (78)