Oct 8, 2011, 12:50 PM EST
UPDATE: Not only is Delmon Young not playing tonight, but the Tigers have ruled him out for the entire series.
According to Dave Hogg of FOXSportsDetroit.com, Young has been left off the ALCS roster due to his recent oblique injury. Danny Worth will replace him on the roster while Ryan Raburn should get most of the starts in left field.
12:32 PM: Delmon Young exited Game 5 of the ALDS on Thursday with a mild strain of his left oblique. While Buster Olney of ESPN.com reported yesterday that the Tigers thought he would be OK for the ALCS against the Rangers, Young wasn’t nearly as optimistic following a workout yesterday in Arlington, Texas.
Tom Gage of the Detroit News reports that Young is still dealing with soreness, casting his availability for Game 1 in serious doubt.
“Sore. I just tried throwing and I couldn’t throw.”
Young emerged as an unlikely hero for the Tigers during the ALDS, going 6-for-19 with three home runs. If he is unable to go, the Tigers would likely use Ryan Raburn in left field against southpaw C.J. Wilson. As I mentioned during our ALCS preview this morning, Raburn has an .847 career OPS against left-handed pitching, including an .807 OPS this season.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 80
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)