Oct 8, 2011, 2:15 PM EDT
According to Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Rangers will go with an eight-man bullpen during the ALCS against the Tigers, removing catcher Matt Treanor from the roster and adding right-hander Yoshinori Tateyama.
The Rangers kept Treanor around as a third catcher during the ALDS so that Ron Washington had the option of putting Mike Napoli and Yorvit Torrealba in the lineup at the same time against southpaws, but that won’t be necessary during the ALCS since the Tigers will be going with all right-handed starters. Torrealba is expected to serve as the primary backup to Napoli, who went 5-for-14 with one home run and four RBI during the ALDS against the Rays.
Tateyama, 35, posted a 4.50 ERA and 43/11 K/BB ratio over 44 innings during the regular season. The Rangers will technically have a nine-man bullpen to begin the series, as Game 4 starter Matt Harrison will be available in relief on Saturday and Sunday.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 18
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)