Oct 8, 2011, 2:15 PM EDT
According to Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Rangers will go with an eight-man bullpen during the ALCS against the Tigers, removing catcher Matt Treanor from the roster and adding right-hander Yoshinori Tateyama.
The Rangers kept Treanor around as a third catcher during the ALDS so that Ron Washington had the option of putting Mike Napoli and Yorvit Torrealba in the lineup at the same time against southpaws, but that won’t be necessary during the ALCS since the Tigers will be going with all right-handed starters. Torrealba is expected to serve as the primary backup to Napoli, who went 5-for-14 with one home run and four RBI during the ALDS against the Rays.
Tateyama, 35, posted a 4.50 ERA and 43/11 K/BB ratio over 44 innings during the regular season. The Rangers will technically have a nine-man bullpen to begin the series, as Game 4 starter Matt Harrison will be available in relief on Saturday and Sunday.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 2
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 13
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 3
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)