Oct 8, 2011, 2:15 PM EDT
According to Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Rangers will go with an eight-man bullpen during the ALCS against the Tigers, removing catcher Matt Treanor from the roster and adding right-hander Yoshinori Tateyama.
The Rangers kept Treanor around as a third catcher during the ALDS so that Ron Washington had the option of putting Mike Napoli and Yorvit Torrealba in the lineup at the same time against southpaws, but that won’t be necessary during the ALCS since the Tigers will be going with all right-handed starters. Torrealba is expected to serve as the primary backup to Napoli, who went 5-for-14 with one home run and four RBI during the ALDS against the Rays.
Tateyama, 35, posted a 4.50 ERA and 43/11 K/BB ratio over 44 innings during the regular season. The Rangers will technically have a nine-man bullpen to begin the series, as Game 4 starter Matt Harrison will be available in relief on Saturday and Sunday.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 0
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 35
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'