Oct 8, 2011, 2:15 PM EST
According to Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Rangers will go with an eight-man bullpen during the ALCS against the Tigers, removing catcher Matt Treanor from the roster and adding right-hander Yoshinori Tateyama.
The Rangers kept Treanor around as a third catcher during the ALDS so that Ron Washington had the option of putting Mike Napoli and Yorvit Torrealba in the lineup at the same time against southpaws, but that won’t be necessary during the ALCS since the Tigers will be going with all right-handed starters. Torrealba is expected to serve as the primary backup to Napoli, who went 5-for-14 with one home run and four RBI during the ALDS against the Rays.
Tateyama, 35, posted a 4.50 ERA and 43/11 K/BB ratio over 44 innings during the regular season. The Rangers will technically have a nine-man bullpen to begin the series, as Game 4 starter Matt Harrison will be available in relief on Saturday and Sunday.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)