Oct 8, 2011, 2:15 PM EDT
According to Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Rangers will go with an eight-man bullpen during the ALCS against the Tigers, removing catcher Matt Treanor from the roster and adding right-hander Yoshinori Tateyama.
The Rangers kept Treanor around as a third catcher during the ALDS so that Ron Washington had the option of putting Mike Napoli and Yorvit Torrealba in the lineup at the same time against southpaws, but that won’t be necessary during the ALCS since the Tigers will be going with all right-handed starters. Torrealba is expected to serve as the primary backup to Napoli, who went 5-for-14 with one home run and four RBI during the ALDS against the Rays.
Tateyama, 35, posted a 4.50 ERA and 43/11 K/BB ratio over 44 innings during the regular season. The Rangers will technically have a nine-man bullpen to begin the series, as Game 4 starter Matt Harrison will be available in relief on Saturday and Sunday.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 1
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 29
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 28
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 44
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)