Oct 8, 2011, 9:26 PM EST
The 31-year-old slugger will undergo surgery within the next week or two and is unlikely to recover in time to participate in the first half of the 2012 regular season. He might even miss the entire year.
The news arrives with awful timing for the Phillies, who had their dreams of a World Series title dashed this week by the Wild Card-winning Redbirds.
Howard, a .275/.368/.560 career hitter, is owed a whopping $125 million over the next five seasons.
The Phillies also announced Saturday that Cole Hamels needs minor surgery on his left elbow.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)