Oct 8, 2011, 9:26 PM EDT
The 31-year-old slugger will undergo surgery within the next week or two and is unlikely to recover in time to participate in the first half of the 2012 regular season. He might even miss the entire year.
The news arrives with awful timing for the Phillies, who had their dreams of a World Series title dashed this week by the Wild Card-winning Redbirds.
Howard, a .275/.368/.560 career hitter, is owed a whopping $125 million over the next five seasons.
The Phillies also announced Saturday that Cole Hamels needs minor surgery on his left elbow.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 20
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 102
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 73
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 27
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (102)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)