Chicagoan says he spotted Theo Epstein near Wrigley Field

Oct 9, 2011, 10:57 AM EDT

Carl Crawford Signs with the Boston Red Sox Getty Images

Take all of this with a boulder-sized grain of salt, but keep in mind a Boston Globe report from only a few days ago stating that the Cubs’ ownership had officially asked permission of the Red Sox to speak with their current general manager, Theo Epstein.

According to Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune, a “life-long Cubs fan” named Noah Pinzur is claiming that he spotted and conversed with Epstein on Saturday afternoon at a Starbucks in Lakeview, just a handful of blocks south of Wrigley Field.

Again, none of this has been confirmed in any way, but here’s how that alleged encounter played out:

“Excuse me,” Pinzur asked. “Are you Theo Epstein?”

“No,” replied Epstein (or his lookalike). “I get that a lot.”

After a brief pause, the real or fake Epstein added: “Who is Theo Epstein?”

Pinzur replied: “He’s the guy who may become general manager of the Cubs, or at least we hope.”

“Once he had to ask me who ‘Theo Epstein’ was, I knew it was him,” Pinzur then told the Tribune. “It was clearly him being driven in the direction of Wrigley Field. “It was Theo all right. I’m 99.9 percent sure.”

1. bloodysock - Oct 9, 2011 at 11:08 AM

It was not Theo, it was Bigfoot.

• bigharold - Oct 9, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Elvis perhaps?

2. 3kittymama - Oct 9, 2011 at 11:29 AM

No, it was Jimmy Hoffa.

3. addictedzone - Oct 9, 2011 at 11:42 AM

After further evaluation of the story in the Trib, at a minimum we are 99% sure that a near facsimile of Theo eats Starbucks bananas. Quick, someone call the Starbucks on Brookline near Fenway and see if Theo bypasses coffee for banana treats. Hope it wasn’t a Dominican banana. Those Dominicans aren’t always what they seem.

4. bertilfox - Oct 9, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Yes, bloodysock. We ALL know Theo dresses like Bigfoot…and vice versa. Chicagoans will learn this.

The curious part is that Bigfoot doesn’t know he looks like Theo in that outfit.

• kiwicricket - Oct 9, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Hmmmm…Or perhaps he does?

5. pisano - Oct 9, 2011 at 11:52 AM

If he wasn’t wearing a gorilla suit, it wasn’t Theo!

6. Gordon - Oct 9, 2011 at 12:42 PM

This same guy claimed to have seen Elvis, Jimmy the Greek, and Ted Williams eating at Billy Goat Tavern.

7. RedHeadedBastard - Oct 9, 2011 at 2:12 PM

My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with the girl who saw Theo at Wrigley Field. I guess its pretty serious.

• florida727 - Oct 10, 2011 at 10:02 AM

So in other words what you’re saying is, the sighting of Theo has been confirmed, right?

8. bigleagues - Oct 9, 2011 at 2:15 PM

If you want to see Bigfoot, the Tooth Fairy and UFO’s you will eventually see (or think you saw) something that resembles Bigfoot, the Tooth Fairy and UFO’s.

I’m not saying there aren’t super secret negotiations going on between the Cubs and Red Sox. I’ve seen stranger things. But, uhhh . . . why wouldn’t Theo just stay in the car and ask his FAR less noticeable wife to go into Starbucks?!

And ho did he get to Chicago without so much as a single person at an airport knowing? He took a chartered flight, you say? There are no baseball fans working at the hangar? Or at the rental car company? Or at the hotel?

Maybe its true, but I remain unconvinced.

9. bobwsc - Oct 9, 2011 at 2:24 PM

he’s being chauffeured around, but has to go in for his own coffee? doesn’t add up.

• marinersnate - Oct 9, 2011 at 2:54 PM

This is true. Everytime that I am being chauffeured around I NEVER go in for my own coffee. Which would be overwelming evidence…. If I had a chauffeur. Or drank coffee.

10. surly1n1nd1anapol1s - Oct 9, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Theo is a bitch.

11. natstowngreg - Oct 9, 2011 at 3:25 PM

The Starbucks was a fake. Theo was actually in Chicago for some deep-dish pizza.

12. marshmallowsnake - Oct 9, 2011 at 7:01 PM

I hope he goes! He will fit in well with their tradition of giving out bad contracts!

13. kylecleric - Oct 10, 2011 at 1:31 AM

2 questions …

1. why the heck would the Globe publish such a weak story?

2. why the heck would hardballtalk link to it?

very weak journalism here.

14. bleachertees - Oct 10, 2011 at 1:57 AM

Someone should get the surveillance tape from the Starbucks.

15. davidly - Oct 10, 2011 at 6:46 AM

Funny. Similar thing happened to me, but at the now defunct Scenes Bookstore (and café) on Clark (instead of the Starbucks which more or less closed it).

I had just come from a doubleheader versus the Bonds & Bonilla led Pirates. Mark Grace had won the second game with a home run in the bottom of the 11th inning and the streets were filled with jubilant (and drunk) Cubs fans.

Anyway, I was going to pick up a copy of Chicago playwright Vincent Bruckert’s Drinking with Harry on Rush when I could swear that I recognized the guy in front of me, who was ordering a cranberry muffin and coffee.

As he turned to head to his table, I could see that he could see that I’d recognized him from the “Here we go, not again” look on his face. The conversation went something like:
    “Hey, you’re…”
    “No. It’s not me. I get that a lot.”
    I was skeptical still, so I tested him with, “Good thing for you. He’d get tarred and feather around here.”
    He protested (a bit too sincerely), “I’m loved around here!”

Who was it? None other than a certain Skibby MaRue! True story.

16. 1historian - Oct 10, 2011 at 8:54 AM

I know that the red sox currently have their knickers in a twist, which amuses me, but remember this – in the past 8 years they have won 2 more Workld Series’ titles than the cubs have in something like 100 years.

You Cubs fans should have such problems.

17. 1historian - Oct 10, 2011 at 8:55 AM

correction – world

whoops

18. rabbialan - Oct 10, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Theo Epstein near Wrigley Field on YOM KIPPUR? Highly suspect, if not POSSIBLE!

19. bigleagues - Oct 10, 2011 at 10:28 PM