Brewers’ rally cut short by double play in fifth inning

Oct 10, 2011, 10:34 PM EDT

NLCS Cardinals Brewers Baseball

The Brewers just missed out on a big opportunity in the fifth inning. But it wasn’t all their fault.

After Arthur Rhodes walked Prince Fielder to load the bases with one out, Tony La Russa brought in right-hander Lance Lynn to face Rickie Weeks, who hit a two-run home run in his previous at-bat. Weeks hit what looked like a double-play ground ball to end the inning. The only thing is, first base umpire Sam Holbrook missed the call. Weeks was clearly safe.

And so, instead of Jerry Hairston Jr. coming to the plate with the bases loaded and two out with the score 7-3, the Cardinals currently hold a 7-2 lead. Then again, Rafael Furcal was ruled out in the top of the fourth inning when he was clearly safe at first base, so who the heck knows? If only there was some way to fix this.

1. halladaysbicep - Oct 10, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Go Phillies!

• cintiphil - Oct 11, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Halladay, you have to let go. Next year they might have a good chance, only if the staff is up to this year’s performance and if they have a replacement for Howard at 1st. (how can they do that?) I look for Oswalt to hang it up maybe after Spring training.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 11, 2011 at 1:01 PM

According to most, Howard shouldn’t be that hard to replace at first. Internal options include Mayberry Jr. Also, maybe moving Utley to first allowing Polanco to go back to his natural position of second base. RAJ was also kicking the tires on teaching Jr. how to play third. That seems quite bizarre as he would be the tallest player ever to play third but whatever.

2. badmamainphilliesjamas - Oct 10, 2011 at 10:59 PM

…and then a squirrel ran from St. Louis to Milwaukee and completed an unassisted triple play.

3. dailyrev - Oct 10, 2011 at 11:24 PM

Prince rings cash register in game 1; Albert opens massive bank vault in game 2. Now on to #Occupy St. Loo…

4. hittfamily - Oct 10, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Unrelated post, but I feel this story should be seen by HBT members. If there is an open topic tomorrow, I will be reposting there as well.

4 Days ago, Greg Green, a high school senior in my city, was hit in the head while pitching. The words I had been dreading came on the 11 pm news; he has passed away. A ball ricocheted and hit him. He was a 4.0 student and ROTC leader. I never knew him, but It sounds like we lost one hell of a young man. In tears, I report that a baseball player, and a fine young man, has died at the hands of our beloved game. Dammit.

My thoughts and condolences are with his family and friends.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 11, 2011 at 7:57 AM

Who would thumbs down that? Who cares if it isn’t related to the original thread topic.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 11, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Great question Monkey (and one I asked myself). Pretty sad that someone (four actually) would do such a thing. I would think their fear of bad karma alone would prevent them from doing so.

5. Jason @ IIATMS - Oct 11, 2011 at 8:19 AM

I blame LaRussa for churning through the umpiring crew so quickly, leaving in a clearly inexperienced Man In Blue rather than his go-to.

6. cintiphil - Oct 11, 2011 at 11:41 AM

It was a blown call, but it would not have made any difference in the game. This one was lost after the first 2 innings. Marcum did not have a chance.

7. foreverchipper10 - Oct 11, 2011 at 1:58 PM

So……wait. If he hit into what was called a double play how would the bases be loaded if he were correctly ruled safe? I did not see this but how can the bases be loaded if a double play happened?

• cintiphil - Oct 11, 2011 at 2:15 PM

You are correct of course. There would have been one man in and runners at the corners. So the score would have been 3, but then the next guy made an out in the next inning. Then with Prince’s HR, it would probably have been 12-4, & they still lose. So, it would have made NO difference.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 11, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Yeah…I picked up on this when I read it this morning Chipper. It would have been guys on 1st and 3rd w/ 2 outs.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3448)