Oct 10, 2011, 11:00 AM EST
I’m sure Rangers fans have heard about this a bunch of times but the rest of the nation was introduced to Derek Holland‘s pre-game routine in the New York Times this morning. Seems that before every start he watches the 15 minute segment of the Kevin Costner movie “For Love of the Game” in which Costner’s character prepares to pitch. He turns it off as soon as Costner throws strike one to the first batter.
Whatever works, I suppose. There are better baseball movies (if you can call this a baseball movie, which is really doubtful, actually) but there are many, many which are worse. And its not like we can pick what inspires us. It just happens.
For example, I used to listen to “Connected” by Stereo MCs before going to court. I have no freaking idea why. It just put me in what I felt was the right mind set. A groove that felt like it could go on forever, but which never got too amped.
Of course I lost a lot of cases so maybe I should have changed things up.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)