For Derek Holland’s love of the game

Oct 10, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT

For The Love of the Game

I’m sure Rangers fans have heard about this a bunch of times but the rest of the nation was introduced to Derek Holland‘s pre-game routine in the New York Times this morning. ¬†Seems that before every start he watches the 15 minute segment of the Kevin Costner movie “For Love of the Game” in which Costner’s character prepares to pitch. He turns it off as soon as Costner throws strike one to the first batter.

Whatever works, I suppose. There are better baseball movies (if you can call this a baseball movie, which is really doubtful, actually) but there are many, many which are worse. And its not like we can pick what inspires us. It just happens.

For example, I used to listen to “Connected” by Stereo MCs before going to court. I have no freaking idea why. It just put me in what I felt was the right mind set. A groove that felt like it could go on forever, but which never got too amped.

Of course I lost a lot of cases so maybe I should have changed things up.

1. b7p19 - Oct 10, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Yeah, but the dude pitches for the Tigers. That has to be bad form, right?

• Detroit Michael - Oct 10, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Yes, the movie character is a fictionalized version of Denny McClain.

• genericcommenter - Oct 10, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Believe it or not, that is another Kevin Costner “baseball movie”- The Upside of Anger, in which Costner plays a former pitcher named “Denny.”

• Detroit Michael - Oct 11, 2011 at 5:42 AM

Thanks for the correction.

2. halladaysbiceps - Oct 10, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Before watching a Phillies game, I usually watch “Pumping Iron” with Arnold. It always got my bicepts pumped up before a game.

• marshmallowsnake - Oct 10, 2011 at 4:03 PM

They have medication for that now.

3. bloodysock - Oct 10, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Perhaps Court Case by Vybz Kartel might have yielded better results.

4. phukyouk - Oct 10, 2011 at 11:14 AM

The only thing in the world longer than a Yanks/Sox gave is a Kevin Costner movie. FACT!

• kiwicricket - Oct 10, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Not true! I thought ‘Waterworld’ flew through… *

• b7p19 - Oct 10, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Man with gills? Brilliant. Dirt as the most precious comodity? Perfect. Waterworld will not be fully appreciated until it proves to be as prophetic as I know it will be.

• marshmallowsnake - Oct 10, 2011 at 4:04 PM

You should have said sailed…

• marshmallowsnake - Oct 10, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Flew works too though I guess…there were a few planes in the film.

5. Jeff J. Snider - Oct 10, 2011 at 11:15 AM

The presence of Vin Scully’s voice through the movie makes it wonderful no matter what else happens. I have seen the movie twice, and I remember absolutely nothing other than the general plot line of an old pitcher pitching a good game at the end of his career. All I can really remember is that I got to hear Vinny’s voice for a couple hours, which was awesome for me as a Dodger fan living outside of Dodger territory in the pre-Extra Innings/MLB.tv era.

• Old Gator - Oct 10, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Not nearly as much fun as the shows with Mad Dog Russo analyzing the world series on Harvey Keitel’s car radio in The Bad Lieutenant, though. “Strawberry will wake up. You watch, Strawberry will wake up….”

6. rollinghighwayblues - Oct 10, 2011 at 12:01 PM

The Bad Lieutenant.

The worst movie, ever. We watched that on a bus ride and I swear the entire team was going to start a riot if the movie was not stopped immediately. Come on, Nich.

7. APBA Guy - Oct 10, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Two different “Bad Lieutenants”.

OG, the O is for “Old”, is referring to:

What you watched is:

Interestingly, the IMDB voters gave both movies equal 6.9 ratings.

• rollinghighwayblues - Oct 10, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Ahh, color me the fool for my silver screen ignorance. Thanks for the heads up, APBA.

• Old Gator - Oct 10, 2011 at 1:31 PM

That can only be because the Chihuahua, who fancies himself a film critic – he appears regularly on the inexplicably highly rated Dan LeBatard show, spawrts tawlk raydeeo for Macondo adolescents with brain injuries and foul mouths, to discuss movies and is about as knowledgeable about film as a rural Southern Baptist fundamentalist pastor lecturing on Eldredge and Gould’s theory of punctuated equilibrium – voted twenty or thirty times for the remake.

8. Richard In Big D - Oct 10, 2011 at 12:23 PM

I’ve known quite a few young pitchers that have benefitted from those sequences in this movie. Kind of illustrates the head clearing that needs to happen to allow proper focus in the face of distractions. This movie is the only one that I’m aware of that really goes through this whole process and replicates the internal visual so well, so I’m not surprised that this is part of a pitcher’s pregame routine. What I AM surprised about is that it isn’t used more…

9. O.Handwasher - Oct 10, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Can we maybe get him to skip the movie and use that time to shave? His mustache is a crime against humanity.

10. kiwicricket - Oct 10, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Round of applause for young Kelly Preston…

11. The Baseball Idiot - Oct 10, 2011 at 1:28 PM

You would have won more cases if you had been a scrappy, left-handed, small-claims lawyer.

Three legends off to Cooperstown