Oct 10, 2011, 11:00 AM EST
I’m sure Rangers fans have heard about this a bunch of times but the rest of the nation was introduced to Derek Holland‘s pre-game routine in the New York Times this morning. Seems that before every start he watches the 15 minute segment of the Kevin Costner movie “For Love of the Game” in which Costner’s character prepares to pitch. He turns it off as soon as Costner throws strike one to the first batter.
Whatever works, I suppose. There are better baseball movies (if you can call this a baseball movie, which is really doubtful, actually) but there are many, many which are worse. And its not like we can pick what inspires us. It just happens.
For example, I used to listen to “Connected” by Stereo MCs before going to court. I have no freaking idea why. It just put me in what I felt was the right mind set. A groove that felt like it could go on forever, but which never got too amped.
Of course I lost a lot of cases so maybe I should have changed things up.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (284)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)