Oct 10, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
I’m sure Rangers fans have heard about this a bunch of times but the rest of the nation was introduced to Derek Holland‘s pre-game routine in the New York Times this morning. Seems that before every start he watches the 15 minute segment of the Kevin Costner movie “For Love of the Game” in which Costner’s character prepares to pitch. He turns it off as soon as Costner throws strike one to the first batter.
Whatever works, I suppose. There are better baseball movies (if you can call this a baseball movie, which is really doubtful, actually) but there are many, many which are worse. And its not like we can pick what inspires us. It just happens.
For example, I used to listen to “Connected” by Stereo MCs before going to court. I have no freaking idea why. It just put me in what I felt was the right mind set. A groove that felt like it could go on forever, but which never got too amped.
Of course I lost a lot of cases so maybe I should have changed things up.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)