Oct 10, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
I’m sure Rangers fans have heard about this a bunch of times but the rest of the nation was introduced to Derek Holland‘s pre-game routine in the New York Times this morning. Seems that before every start he watches the 15 minute segment of the Kevin Costner movie “For Love of the Game” in which Costner’s character prepares to pitch. He turns it off as soon as Costner throws strike one to the first batter.
Whatever works, I suppose. There are better baseball movies (if you can call this a baseball movie, which is really doubtful, actually) but there are many, many which are worse. And its not like we can pick what inspires us. It just happens.
For example, I used to listen to “Connected” by Stereo MCs before going to court. I have no freaking idea why. It just put me in what I felt was the right mind set. A groove that felt like it could go on forever, but which never got too amped.
Of course I lost a lot of cases so maybe I should have changed things up.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 0
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 1
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 13
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 7
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 37
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)