Oct 10, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Francisco Rodriguez is on the verge of becoming a free agent and lots of non-Brewers media are covering the Brewers at this point, so naturally he was asked yesterday whether signing with the Mets is something he’d consider.
“Of course,” Rodriguez told David Lennon of New York Newsday. “I don’t have no hard feelings for nobody. They did what they had to do. They needed to unload a lot of money and I was making too much money. But you never know what’s going to happen one year from now, two years from now.”
Rodriguez won’t be re-signing with the Brewers, but his odds of rejoining the Mets seem almost as long. Not only would it be surprising if general manager Sandy Alderson and manager Terry Collins wanted anything to do with Rodriguez, the sheer number of veteran relievers available this offseason means the Mets will have plenty of options if they’re committed to filling the ninth inning with an experienced closer.
From Rodriguez’s point of view it makes sense not to rule out any suitors and he probably doesn’t quite realize the feelings he left behind in New York, but … well, it ain’t happening.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 29
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Who really owns a home run ball? 60
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 127
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (127)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)