Oct 10, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Francisco Rodriguez is on the verge of becoming a free agent and lots of non-Brewers media are covering the Brewers at this point, so naturally he was asked yesterday whether signing with the Mets is something he’d consider.
“Of course,” Rodriguez told David Lennon of New York Newsday. “I don’t have no hard feelings for nobody. They did what they had to do. They needed to unload a lot of money and I was making too much money. But you never know what’s going to happen one year from now, two years from now.”
Rodriguez won’t be re-signing with the Brewers, but his odds of rejoining the Mets seem almost as long. Not only would it be surprising if general manager Sandy Alderson and manager Terry Collins wanted anything to do with Rodriguez, the sheer number of veteran relievers available this offseason means the Mets will have plenty of options if they’re committed to filling the ninth inning with an experienced closer.
From Rodriguez’s point of view it makes sense not to rule out any suitors and he probably doesn’t quite realize the feelings he left behind in New York, but … well, it ain’t happening.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 25
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 252
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 43
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (255)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)