If you missed our Phillies postmortem over the weekend

Oct 10, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT

Phillies' Ibanez reacts to grounding out to end the seventh inning of their MLB baseball playoff game against the Cardinals in Philadelphia

I know some of you don’t read the site much over the weekend. That’s cool. We’d love to have a more meaningful relationship with you, but we can handle being your workplace fling if that’s all you want of us.

Anyway, given how much real estate has been devoted to the Phillies on this blog this season — and how much everyone seems to have expected me to write 55 posts crowing about the Phillies’ early exit — it’s probably worth pointing out what we had to say about it all since they went down in flames on Friday night.  So:

I can’t say I’m sad to see the Phillies out of it, if for no other reason than Milwaukee-St. Louis is a great matchup due to the freshness on the national stage and the fact that those guys hate each other.  But, yeah, it does feel fitting that we say goodbye to the guys everyone thought was the best team in the game this year.

138 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. halladaysbicep - Oct 10, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Mark my words. Phillies are the 2011 World Series Champs! I don’t care what Selig, ESPN, HBT, or the rest of you douches have to say about it!!
    They won and always will win. In fact they are still undefeated, so suck on that.

Oh and Chase, Cliff, Roy, Cole, and anyone else that reads this, give me a call, I would love to setup a time to hang out, maybe in a circle perhaps.

2. foreverchipper10 - Oct 10, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Let’s just lay this out plain and simple.

2008 Phillies win World Series
    2009 Phillies lose World Series
    2010 Phillies lose in NLCS
    2011 Phillies lose in NLDS

Add injury (Howard) to the insult of their dream regular season turned into nightmare and all I can think is…

Damn….Their future is murky at best :)

• El Bravo - Oct 10, 2011 at 2:45 PM

well played, sir.

• halladaysbicep - Oct 10, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Wrong wrong wrong.
      2008 Phillies win World Series
      2009 Phillies win World Series
      2010 Phillies win World Series
      2011 Phillies will win World Series.

Don’t you dare try to prove me wrong.

• gogigantos - Oct 11, 2011 at 1:37 PM

I love a man who manages to reject reality and substitute one of his own making better suited to what he desires, respect and envy you I do
        on the other hand, it is a clear sign of delusion when a man cannot adjust his reality to the evidence at hand, a consistent failing ‘ceps
        doh,,, hahahahahaha,, fake little t hahahahahahah,,
        clearly baiter striving for master status

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 11, 2011 at 6:06 PM

You realize that’s an impostor right?

3. dasher521 - Oct 10, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Any regions fans do three things (no matter what the sport or team, college or pro). 1) They over estimate their own team. 2) They under estimate the other team. 3) They root only with their heart and never temper it with reality. It was what happened last year versus the Giants. Those who do not learn the lessons of history … And, we Phillies fans did not learn it. It happened again versus the Cardinals. I’m glad they played the last four regular season games the way they did, the right way. No regrets. If you want to wear the ring, you have to make it through all the best. The Phillies have to do some tinkering and make some decisions. With Halliday, Lee and Hamels I still like their chances for the next year or two.

• halladaysbicep - Oct 10, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Fire everyone except Halladay, Lee and Hamels (they are too sexy to let go).
      And keep Cooch, I like his nickname, rhymes with Gooch, the tastiest part.

4. gogigantos - Oct 11, 2011 at 1:30 PM

this thread may still be active, or not
    have been away and just want to throw my three cents into the fountain,,,
    I find my joy over the Phightins falling a bit over the top and irrational given my long distaste for Mr. TLR. But, I am sure I know why I feel this way.

I love the mid continent match ups. To hell with both coasts for this post season. After the close wins of the NLDS, the explosion of runs in Milwaukee this weekend was a treat, and that they really don’t much like each other is a bonus. Go Brew Crew, stuff TLR’s shit back up his shorts and have fun doing it. If the Red Birds move on, and even win it all, OK, fine with that story too, just don’t like it when TLR wins.

The whole Phillie story got to be tiresome. Wasn’t it the same story last year? They were the best, unbeatable team of the ages with pitching not to be beaten in a short series or a long season. Well,,,, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, shit happens in this game we all love. Last year they ran into a hot buzzsaw of pitching, and the Giants will continue to be a buzzsaw. They contend for sure. They win is up to the Gods of health and offense,,, something Sabes doesn’t understand. This year the Phils just stopped hitting when it mattered, or was it another hot buzzsaw that pitched just a bit better when it counted? Whatever, they gave us great post season ball, and that is a gift I will always love this generation of Phillies for, thank you.

Now
    there is the issue of the Phucking Phils Phans here,,,,
    long you all have been Phucking Phucks, and one in particular is fond of calling names and bullying whenever he is crossed, his opinion is not to be trifled with, political or on the diamond, his analysis is undoubtedly holy,,, holier than us all spewing and opining what he will and shouting down those who disagree or care to share an opinion on a topic he deems unworthy,, though the same he some to say yesterday,,,,,

I recommend for your torn biceps that you hoist a heavier beer, in a larger bottle and of heavier content and preferably a stout, better to suit you chosen name,,,, forever I am glad that having been called a ‘loser’ ‘douche’ ‘idiot’ ‘fool’ and many names that just aren’t civil is rewarded with your order for humble pie,, ‘ceps, congrats that you stand, sit, and eat it,, “shoe leather sir, yes,, a ha, and how would you like your hat served to you?. and will you be having desert? aaah,, pie, crow you say, well, we have humble pie if you’ll have it,,,, and would you like ice cream with that???”
    but don’t forget that you shouted many down from on high, mighty intolerant and loud,,
    still
    you and your ilk are a bit not quite right,,, from on high you called us fools for wondering why the games must be played out,,,, I won’t cut and paste, has been done, but man o man,,, you and your Phillie bros were a large dose of shit that has righteously come down upon you,,,, I do hope it really wasn’t you and your cabal that cursed your team,, the baseball Gods have their own reasons I am sure and, like our own God, if you so believe, have more to do than pay attention to what one lowly man, or a few low men, has to do or say here today,,,
    all said for now
    go Detroit vs. Milwaukee heartland of our land
    hope to see you next season when the Giants return to score enough runs to support a pitching staff for the ages that stays healthy for another epic season on the mound, and into the crap shoot that is October,,, :)

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet