Oct 10, 2011, 8:45 AM EST
I know some of you don’t read the site much over the weekend. That’s cool. We’d love to have a more meaningful relationship with you, but we can handle being your workplace fling if that’s all you want of us.
Anyway, given how much real estate has been devoted to the Phillies on this blog this season — and how much everyone seems to have expected me to write 55 posts crowing about the Phillies’ early exit — it’s probably worth pointing out what we had to say about it all since they went down in flames on Friday night. So:
- Here’s my immediate post-mortem on the Phillies’ demise, complete with lengthy comment thread in which people who have been claiming that the Phillies were already champs back in March pretend like they’ve been humble about it all summer;
- Here’s an argument that, man, a five-game series is just not sufficient to decide stuff this damn important;
- The Saturday morning media reaction to the Phillies’ NLDS loss;
- This and that about Ryan Howard‘s awful injury on the last play of the game which, frankly, took all the fun out of the Phillies loss for even the most ardent Philly-haters; and
- A word about the Phillies-Cardinals excellent TV ratings.
I can’t say I’m sad to see the Phillies out of it, if for no other reason than Milwaukee-St. Louis is a great matchup due to the freshness on the national stage and the fact that those guys hate each other. But, yeah, it does feel fitting that we say goodbye to the guys everyone thought was the best team in the game this year.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 61
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)