Oct 10, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
I know some of you don’t read the site much over the weekend. That’s cool. We’d love to have a more meaningful relationship with you, but we can handle being your workplace fling if that’s all you want of us.
Anyway, given how much real estate has been devoted to the Phillies on this blog this season — and how much everyone seems to have expected me to write 55 posts crowing about the Phillies’ early exit — it’s probably worth pointing out what we had to say about it all since they went down in flames on Friday night. So:
- Here’s my immediate post-mortem on the Phillies’ demise, complete with lengthy comment thread in which people who have been claiming that the Phillies were already champs back in March pretend like they’ve been humble about it all summer;
- Here’s an argument that, man, a five-game series is just not sufficient to decide stuff this damn important;
- The Saturday morning media reaction to the Phillies’ NLDS loss;
- This and that about Ryan Howard‘s awful injury on the last play of the game which, frankly, took all the fun out of the Phillies loss for even the most ardent Philly-haters; and
- A word about the Phillies-Cardinals excellent TV ratings.
I can’t say I’m sad to see the Phillies out of it, if for no other reason than Milwaukee-St. Louis is a great matchup due to the freshness on the national stage and the fact that those guys hate each other. But, yeah, it does feel fitting that we say goodbye to the guys everyone thought was the best team in the game this year.
- Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Dickey goes 8, beats Rays for 2nd straight win
- PST: Mourinho officially leaving Real Madrid
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- PFT: Chad Johnson arrested for probation violation