Oct 10, 2011, 8:45 AM EST
I know some of you don’t read the site much over the weekend. That’s cool. We’d love to have a more meaningful relationship with you, but we can handle being your workplace fling if that’s all you want of us.
Anyway, given how much real estate has been devoted to the Phillies on this blog this season — and how much everyone seems to have expected me to write 55 posts crowing about the Phillies’ early exit — it’s probably worth pointing out what we had to say about it all since they went down in flames on Friday night. So:
- Here’s my immediate post-mortem on the Phillies’ demise, complete with lengthy comment thread in which people who have been claiming that the Phillies were already champs back in March pretend like they’ve been humble about it all summer;
- Here’s an argument that, man, a five-game series is just not sufficient to decide stuff this damn important;
- The Saturday morning media reaction to the Phillies’ NLDS loss;
- This and that about Ryan Howard‘s awful injury on the last play of the game which, frankly, took all the fun out of the Phillies loss for even the most ardent Philly-haters; and
- A word about the Phillies-Cardinals excellent TV ratings.
I can’t say I’m sad to see the Phillies out of it, if for no other reason than Milwaukee-St. Louis is a great matchup due to the freshness on the national stage and the fact that those guys hate each other. But, yeah, it does feel fitting that we say goodbye to the guys everyone thought was the best team in the game this year.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 0
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 80
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 34
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)