Oct 10, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
I know some of you don’t read the site much over the weekend. That’s cool. We’d love to have a more meaningful relationship with you, but we can handle being your workplace fling if that’s all you want of us.
Anyway, given how much real estate has been devoted to the Phillies on this blog this season — and how much everyone seems to have expected me to write 55 posts crowing about the Phillies’ early exit — it’s probably worth pointing out what we had to say about it all since they went down in flames on Friday night. So:
- Here’s my immediate post-mortem on the Phillies’ demise, complete with lengthy comment thread in which people who have been claiming that the Phillies were already champs back in March pretend like they’ve been humble about it all summer;
- Here’s an argument that, man, a five-game series is just not sufficient to decide stuff this damn important;
- The Saturday morning media reaction to the Phillies’ NLDS loss;
- This and that about Ryan Howard‘s awful injury on the last play of the game which, frankly, took all the fun out of the Phillies loss for even the most ardent Philly-haters; and
- A word about the Phillies-Cardinals excellent TV ratings.
I can’t say I’m sad to see the Phillies out of it, if for no other reason than Milwaukee-St. Louis is a great matchup due to the freshness on the national stage and the fact that those guys hate each other. But, yeah, it does feel fitting that we say goodbye to the guys everyone thought was the best team in the game this year.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 13
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 217
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 140
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (225)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (140)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)