Oct 10, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Connecting all the dots, Florida’s interest in Carlos Zambrano sounds pretty real.
As soon as Ozzie Guillen became the Marlins’ manager last month there was speculation about him convincing the team to trade for his friend and last week El Nacional in Venezuela reported that Guillen has already reached out to Zambrano.
And now Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald writes that the Marlins “have interest in acquiring” Zambrano “if Chicago picks up a large chunk of his $18 million salary for 2012 and doesn’t expect a lot in return.”
It’s hard to imagine the Cubs not being willing to eat most of that money in exchange for a mid-level prospect at this point, so if Guillen and the Marlins want Zambrano there’s definitely a deal to be made. Zambrano was obviously a huge headache in Chicago and his on-field performance has declined as well, but for a one-year commitment at, say, $8 million he could be a worthwhile gamble with Guillen in the mix.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)