Oct 10, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Connecting all the dots, Florida’s interest in Carlos Zambrano sounds pretty real.
As soon as Ozzie Guillen became the Marlins’ manager last month there was speculation about him convincing the team to trade for his friend and last week El Nacional in Venezuela reported that Guillen has already reached out to Zambrano.
And now Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald writes that the Marlins “have interest in acquiring” Zambrano “if Chicago picks up a large chunk of his $18 million salary for 2012 and doesn’t expect a lot in return.”
It’s hard to imagine the Cubs not being willing to eat most of that money in exchange for a mid-level prospect at this point, so if Guillen and the Marlins want Zambrano there’s definitely a deal to be made. Zambrano was obviously a huge headache in Chicago and his on-field performance has declined as well, but for a one-year commitment at, say, $8 million he could be a worthwhile gamble with Guillen in the mix.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)