Oct 10, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Connecting all the dots, Florida’s interest in Carlos Zambrano sounds pretty real.
As soon as Ozzie Guillen became the Marlins’ manager last month there was speculation about him convincing the team to trade for his friend and last week El Nacional in Venezuela reported that Guillen has already reached out to Zambrano.
And now Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald writes that the Marlins “have interest in acquiring” Zambrano “if Chicago picks up a large chunk of his $18 million salary for 2012 and doesn’t expect a lot in return.”
It’s hard to imagine the Cubs not being willing to eat most of that money in exchange for a mid-level prospect at this point, so if Guillen and the Marlins want Zambrano there’s definitely a deal to be made. Zambrano was obviously a huge headache in Chicago and his on-field performance has declined as well, but for a one-year commitment at, say, $8 million he could be a worthwhile gamble with Guillen in the mix.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 11
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 17
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 25
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)