Oct 10, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Connecting all the dots, Florida’s interest in Carlos Zambrano sounds pretty real.
As soon as Ozzie Guillen became the Marlins’ manager last month there was speculation about him convincing the team to trade for his friend and last week El Nacional in Venezuela reported that Guillen has already reached out to Zambrano.
And now Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald writes that the Marlins “have interest in acquiring” Zambrano “if Chicago picks up a large chunk of his $18 million salary for 2012 and doesn’t expect a lot in return.”
It’s hard to imagine the Cubs not being willing to eat most of that money in exchange for a mid-level prospect at this point, so if Guillen and the Marlins want Zambrano there’s definitely a deal to be made. Zambrano was obviously a huge headache in Chicago and his on-field performance has declined as well, but for a one-year commitment at, say, $8 million he could be a worthwhile gamble with Guillen in the mix.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 10
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 37
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 49
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)