Oct 10, 2011, 6:58 PM EST
According to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, an MRI on Heyward’s shoulder came back negative. The 22-year-old missed four weeks during the first half of the season due to recurring soreness, an injury which likely contributed to his disappointing sophomore campaign. While tests haven’t revealed anything serious, he’ll be placed on a “maintenance and stretching program” to help strengthen the shoulder.
After finishing as the runner-up to Giants’ catcher Buster Posey for National League Rookie of the Year in 2010, Heyward batted just .227/.319/.389 with 14 home runs, 42 RBI and a .708 OPS over 454 plate appearances this season.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 83
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 145
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)