Oct 10, 2011, 12:23 PM EDT
I’ll give Philly, its fans and its media this much: for as insufferable as they can be when they’re cruising, they offset it rather appropriately with anger, recriminations and negativity when things go poorly.
You won’t hear a lot of “we got robbed” from those guys. You won’t hear a lot of “oh well, see you next season.” Things are either awesome or terrible, and it’s because the players are either invincible or dog crap. Not a lot of in between, and there’s something kind of neat about that, even if it’s a temperament most of the rest of us can’t understand.
Anyway, it leads to stuff like this column in which Dan McQuade lists a bunch of potential “solutions” he’s heard from half-crazed Phillies fans since Friday night. It also leads to this cover of this morning’s Philadelphia Daily News:
At some point over the summer I started to imagine the kind of needling stuff I’d write if and when the Phillies failed to meet expectations. Turns out I don’t really have to. You don’t needle a guy when he’s busy trying to shove a sword in his own gut.
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 2
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 39
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)