Oct 10, 2011, 12:23 PM EDT
I’ll give Philly, its fans and its media this much: for as insufferable as they can be when they’re cruising, they offset it rather appropriately with anger, recriminations and negativity when things go poorly.
You won’t hear a lot of “we got robbed” from those guys. You won’t hear a lot of “oh well, see you next season.” Things are either awesome or terrible, and it’s because the players are either invincible or dog crap. Not a lot of in between, and there’s something kind of neat about that, even if it’s a temperament most of the rest of us can’t understand.
Anyway, it leads to stuff like this column in which Dan McQuade lists a bunch of potential “solutions” he’s heard from half-crazed Phillies fans since Friday night. It also leads to this cover of this morning’s Philadelphia Daily News:
At some point over the summer I started to imagine the kind of needling stuff I’d write if and when the Phillies failed to meet expectations. Turns out I don’t really have to. You don’t needle a guy when he’s busy trying to shove a sword in his own gut.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 21
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)