Oct 10, 2011, 12:23 PM EST
I’ll give Philly, its fans and its media this much: for as insufferable as they can be when they’re cruising, they offset it rather appropriately with anger, recriminations and negativity when things go poorly.
You won’t hear a lot of “we got robbed” from those guys. You won’t hear a lot of “oh well, see you next season.” Things are either awesome or terrible, and it’s because the players are either invincible or dog crap. Not a lot of in between, and there’s something kind of neat about that, even if it’s a temperament most of the rest of us can’t understand.
Anyway, it leads to stuff like this column in which Dan McQuade lists a bunch of potential “solutions” he’s heard from half-crazed Phillies fans since Friday night. It also leads to this cover of this morning’s Philadelphia Daily News:
At some point over the summer I started to imagine the kind of needling stuff I’d write if and when the Phillies failed to meet expectations. Turns out I don’t really have to. You don’t needle a guy when he’s busy trying to shove a sword in his own gut.
- Report: Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 21
- The Matt Kemp trade is expected to go down as planned 12
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 76
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)