Oct 10, 2011, 5:47 PM EST
Tampa Bay catcher Robinson Chirinos “broke a bone near his right wrist” while playing winter ball in Venezuela, according to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times.
Topkin reports that Chirinos is expected to be sidelined for 4-6 weeks, which is bad news for his winter ball career but should leave him plenty of time to get healthy for spring training.
Acquired from the Cubs in the offseason deal for Matt Garza, he hit .259 with six homers and a .719 OPS in 78 games at Triple-A and went 12-for-55 (.218) in 20 games with the Rays. He’ll likely compete for the backup job next season.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 43
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 84
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)