Oct 10, 2011, 5:47 PM EDT
Tampa Bay catcher Robinson Chirinos “broke a bone near his right wrist” while playing winter ball in Venezuela, according to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times.
Topkin reports that Chirinos is expected to be sidelined for 4-6 weeks, which is bad news for his winter ball career but should leave him plenty of time to get healthy for spring training.
Acquired from the Cubs in the offseason deal for Matt Garza, he hit .259 with six homers and a .719 OPS in 78 games at Triple-A and went 12-for-55 (.218) in 20 games with the Rays. He’ll likely compete for the backup job next season.
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 26
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 24
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 23
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 42
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 64
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 76
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 94
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)