Oct 10, 2011, 5:47 PM EDT
Tampa Bay catcher Robinson Chirinos “broke a bone near his right wrist” while playing winter ball in Venezuela, according to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times.
Topkin reports that Chirinos is expected to be sidelined for 4-6 weeks, which is bad news for his winter ball career but should leave him plenty of time to get healthy for spring training.
Acquired from the Cubs in the offseason deal for Matt Garza, he hit .259 with six homers and a .719 OPS in 78 games at Triple-A and went 12-for-55 (.218) in 20 games with the Rays. He’ll likely compete for the backup job next season.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (99)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)