Oct 10, 2011, 5:47 PM EDT
Tampa Bay catcher Robinson Chirinos “broke a bone near his right wrist” while playing winter ball in Venezuela, according to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times.
Topkin reports that Chirinos is expected to be sidelined for 4-6 weeks, which is bad news for his winter ball career but should leave him plenty of time to get healthy for spring training.
Acquired from the Cubs in the offseason deal for Matt Garza, he hit .259 with six homers and a .719 OPS in 78 games at Triple-A and went 12-for-55 (.218) in 20 games with the Rays. He’ll likely compete for the backup job next season.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)