Oct 10, 2011, 5:47 PM EDT
Tampa Bay catcher Robinson Chirinos “broke a bone near his right wrist” while playing winter ball in Venezuela, according to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times.
Topkin reports that Chirinos is expected to be sidelined for 4-6 weeks, which is bad news for his winter ball career but should leave him plenty of time to get healthy for spring training.
Acquired from the Cubs in the offseason deal for Matt Garza, he hit .259 with six homers and a .719 OPS in 78 games at Triple-A and went 12-for-55 (.218) in 20 games with the Rays. He’ll likely compete for the backup job next season.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 20
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 102
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 73
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 27
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (102)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)