Oct 10, 2011, 8:50 PM EST
The Texas bullpen figured to be a strength this month, with Alexi Ogando, Koji Uehara, Mike Adams and closer Neftali Feliz available to pitch the final four innings of games. Starter-turned-middle reliever Scott Feldman wasn’t so much a part of that plan, but the former 17-game winner stepped up big on Monday, pitching 4 1/3 scoreless innings as the Rangers topped the Tigers 7-3 in 11 innings.
Feldman, who lost his rotation spot while going 7-11 with a 5.48 ERA in 2010, was limited to just 11 appearances this year after offseason knee surgery, and he was no shoo-in for the Rangers’ postseason roster until injuries began to strike the rest of the pitching staff. He made just three appearances in September, giving up seven runs in 10 innings. However, he’s now pitched 7 1/3 scoreless innings with an 8/0 K/BB ratio this month.
Feldman’s big outing today came in relief of Derek Holland, who gave up three runs and four hits in 2 2/3 innings. It’s a long shot, but he’s put himself in a position to take over a rotation spot if Holland’s inconsistency gets him banished to the pen later in the ALCS or the World Series.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)