Oct 10, 2011, 8:50 PM EDT
The Texas bullpen figured to be a strength this month, with Alexi Ogando, Koji Uehara, Mike Adams and closer Neftali Feliz available to pitch the final four innings of games. Starter-turned-middle reliever Scott Feldman wasn’t so much a part of that plan, but the former 17-game winner stepped up big on Monday, pitching 4 1/3 scoreless innings as the Rangers topped the Tigers 7-3 in 11 innings.
Feldman, who lost his rotation spot while going 7-11 with a 5.48 ERA in 2010, was limited to just 11 appearances this year after offseason knee surgery, and he was no shoo-in for the Rangers’ postseason roster until injuries began to strike the rest of the pitching staff. He made just three appearances in September, giving up seven runs in 10 innings. However, he’s now pitched 7 1/3 scoreless innings with an 8/0 K/BB ratio this month.
Feldman’s big outing today came in relief of Derek Holland, who gave up three runs and four hits in 2 2/3 innings. It’s a long shot, but he’s put himself in a position to take over a rotation spot if Holland’s inconsistency gets him banished to the pen later in the ALCS or the World Series.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)