The rain-free rain postponement

Oct 10, 2011, 5:57 AM EDT

Detroit Tigers players sit in the dugout during the game's second rain delay in the fifth inning of Game 1 of the MLB American League Championship Series baseball playoffs against the Texas Rangers in Arlington Reuters

I woke up this morning and had an email from a reader who lives fairly close to the Rangers’ ballpark and tells me that it never rained last night. At least not before the Tigers-Rangers game that was postponed due to the threat of rain would have been over.

Oh well, that’s life. And weather.

And I figure that it’s better to have banged the game a bit prematurely than to have had a repeat of the situation in which the Tigers and Yankees found themselves a week ago Friday where they lost their starting pitchers after a couple of innings. The elimination of a travel day is a fair price to pay for that. I mean, it’s not like there aren’t a bunch of days in the regular season where two teams play a game a day after traveling. And let us not forget that the cancellation let us all watch the “Breaking Bad” season finale when it aired rather than recording it to watch today. In other news, I believe in Harvey Dent.

Scherzer vs. Holland at 4:19 PM Eastern time. Mid-70s and sunshine are forecast.  So yeah, bring an umbrella.

1. aaronzona2011 - Oct 10, 2011 at 6:32 AM

And if they played the game last night it would have poured in the 2nd inning, then joe torre would come out and say that the rain came out of nowhere.

2. ditto65 - Oct 10, 2011 at 6:33 AM

Sadly this will give credence to MLB’s decision to start teh Yankees/Tigers game.

3. JBerardi - Oct 10, 2011 at 7:45 AM

I feel like this problem could have been avoided if only this game somehow decided who gets home field advantage in the World Series.

4. dohpey28 - Oct 10, 2011 at 8:35 AM

Yeah it rained all Saturday night and most of Sunday. The field wouldn’t have been in any condition to play when the rain let up last night.

5. deep64blue - Oct 10, 2011 at 8:37 AM

The issue I have with this is they wouldn’t let the Nationals call a game early this year – they let the fans travel then called it ……

• jimbo1949 - Oct 10, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Bad track record by the Nats. This was after the May 17 debacle when they called the 2pm Pirate game at 9am when high humidity threatened.

6. sdelmonte - Oct 10, 2011 at 9:25 AM

This seems a bit unfair to fans who could attend last night but not today. Though many have off today. And though I suppose if I had playoff tickets, I would try to find a way to be there. But not everyone can take off from work at the drop of a hat.

I wonder if this was also somehow pushed by Fox, which seems to not want any games in prime time in the ALCS. They probably got better ratings with animation reruns opposite the SNF game than they would with the baseball. (Question: what if the NLCS game was at night? Would the Brewers have retained any audience against a Packers game?)

7. dohpey28 - Oct 10, 2011 at 9:46 AM

One other note, we are now getting stories from a guy near Wrigley field and another guy who lives near the area. Are either worthy of story posts? I mean c’mon, Florio wouldn’t even do that.

8. dohpey28 - Oct 10, 2011 at 9:47 AM

One other note, we are now getting stories from a guy near Wrigley field and another guy who lives in the Arlington area. Are either worthy of story posts? I mean c’mon, Florio wouldn’t even do that.

• Craig Calcaterra - Oct 10, 2011 at 9:49 AM

So when someone tells me that it didn’t rain, I’m supposed to be dubious?

9. frankvzappa - Oct 10, 2011 at 10:33 AM

I believe it is all a conspiracy by Bud Selig to get extra time off so that maybe Leyland could be persuaded to bring Verlander back sooner, thereby increasing the chances that MLB can market the best pitcher in the game for the World Series.

• dailyrev - Oct 10, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Nice handle there, FZ. One of the great musicians of our era who really never received the appreciation he was due. Curiously, he was deeply admired in the classical ranks, among conductors, composers, and performers. And his appearance before Congress ranks right up there with Casey Stengel’s more famous spume upon that august corpse…I mean, body.

• frankvzappa - Oct 10, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Agreed. Highly revered in jazz circles as well. The tracks he made for FZ Meets the Mother of Prevention album that turned those hearings into mind-blowing music is among his most innovative and psychedelic work. Too bad you need a high IQ to appreciate his music, which disqualifies most of the earth’s population.

• Richard In Big D - Oct 10, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Except Verlander (or his team) won’t be playing come World Series time.

10. lukeslice - Oct 10, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Rain…doesn’t mess…with Texas.

11. dailyrev - Oct 10, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Congress, weather forecasting, punditry of any stripe. There are lots of professions where you can be so often wrong and still thrive. Then again, remember the ancient baseball adage which I still hear half a dozen or so times a season on TV: you can fail 70% of the time and be a superstar at your profession…

Three legends off to Cooperstown