Albert Pujols leads the way in Game 2 blowout win over Brewers

Oct 11, 2011, 12:06 AM EDT

Pujols AP

Albert Pujols didn’t do everything for the Cardinals tonight, but it sure seemed like it at times.

Pujols went 4-for-5 with a two-run homer, three doubles, five RBI and three runs scored in a 12-3 win over the Brewers in Game 2 of the NLCS, tying the series at 1-1. As part of a 17-hit attack by the Cardinals, David Freese homered for the second straight game while Jon Jay added three hits and Nick Punto chipped in with a pair of RBI singles.

Pujols is just the fourth player in postseason history to have four extra-base hits in the same game. The others:

Hideki Matsui: NYY vs. BOS – 2004 ALCS Game 3 (won 19-8)
Bob Robertson: PIT at SFG – 1971 NLCS Game 2 (won 9-4)
Frank Isbell: CWS vs. CHC – 1906 WS Game 5 (won 8-6)

Just icing on the cake, Pujols is the first player with four hits, four RBI and 10 total bases in an NLCS game since former Giants’ first baseman Will Clark in 1989 against the Cubs. Pujols now has 14 home runs and 42 RBI in his postseason career, passing former center fielder Jim Edmonds for the franchise record.

Shaun Marcum was smoked for five runs on seven hits over four innings in Monday’s loss. He has allowed 12 runs over 8 2/3 innings during the postseason, good enough for an ugly 11.25 ERA.

While this game ended up being a laugher, the Brewers actually had a chance to make things interesting in the fifth inning. After Edwin Jackson was chased from the game with the score 7-2, Rickie Weeks came up to the plate with the bases loaded against right-hander Lance Lynn. He hit into what was seemingly a rally-killing double-play to end the inning, however, it was clearly a blown call by first base umpire Sam Holbrook. The Cardinals poured it on offensively from there, including a four-run seventh inning, but this may have been a different ballgame if he made the right call.

Rickie Weeks and Prince Fielder both homered in a losing cause for the Brewers while Ryan Braun went 2-for-4 with a double. Braun is batting .500 (13-for-26) during the postseason.

The series will now turn to St. Louis on Wednesday night, when Chris Carpenter takes on Yovani Gallardo.

1. ultimatecardinalwarrior - Oct 11, 2011 at 12:21 AM

Pretty good night, all around.

2. dailyrev - Oct 11, 2011 at 12:27 AM

That might have been worth another $50M. We’re in the ‘hood of a quarter billion now. Too bad still, Albert: you should have gone into hedge funds…

3. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 11, 2011 at 1:04 AM

HBT was really hopping today with two big playoff games going on…3, 4, 5 whole comments per posting. LOL. Sure, Craig, your wishes for the Phillies demise helped spike the comments for a day or two. Now, you get to see single-digits before, during and after all these lousy games going on for the rest of this pathetic postseason.

Enjoy!!!! :D

/sarcasm (for the most part)

• tacklemeelmo - Oct 11, 2011 at 1:09 AM

I guess some of us

• tacklemeelmo - Oct 11, 2011 at 1:09 AM

will have to pick up

• tacklemeelmo - Oct 11, 2011 at 1:10 AM

the slack!

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 11, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Yeah…what Elmo said!

• wlschneider09 - Oct 11, 2011 at 4:40 PM

I find it amusing that the second of three comments gets additional thumbs down. Apparently we are opposed to the words “pick up”?

• paperlions - Oct 11, 2011 at 8:47 AM

I would rather see fewer comments than the 100 comments you have to sift through to find the dozen things worth reading.

Just like RBI is a poor measure of individual performance, number of comments is a poor measure of page views…..as I mentioned before, some parts of the country can quietly deal with both victory and defeat, we don’t have to slather it all around the internet on a daily basis.

Go Cards!

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 11, 2011 at 8:50 AM

I’m pretty sure it’s heavily slathered in other places (especially Cardinals sites), I doubt HBT is an adequate barometer of the average Cardinal Fan.

• kopy - Oct 11, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Yup. I really, really want the Brewers to win the World Series, but I’m okay with not everybody knowing it and wasting space with annoying arguments that will never be resolved.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 11, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Haha…that was funny. I like the analogy.

• paperlions - Oct 11, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Thanks Doc, really the entire post was just window dressing for that…. :-)

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 11, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Kopy,
        Wasn’t the internet created to have annoying arguments that never get resolved? I jest, I jest. I’ve made a pledge to myself to, for the most part, stay out of such arguments for the remainder of the season and next season.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 11, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Finally Paper…you post something I can agree with. LOL!

• paperlions - Oct 11, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Tony LaRussa is a super genius and the most awesome manager, like…ever!

I’ll take a 6 pack of New Castle…thanks.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 11, 2011 at 8:55 AM

I think the games have been wonderful. ALCS going extra’s yesterday…Game #1 of the NLCS having plenty of scoring…the Cardinals putting on a hitting clinic last night. All about perspective.

4. Francisco (FC) - Oct 11, 2011 at 8:47 AM

I’ll always be around regardless, but obviously a close competitive game is more fun for a fan that isn’t rooting for a specific team. Blowouts are only fun for the fans of the team putting the hurt on.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 11, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Wow…back to back posts by you FC that I also agree with (not that it matters to you). If you and Paper keep this up I might have to buy you guys a beer!

5. proudlycanadian - Oct 11, 2011 at 9:00 AM

I feel sorry for ex Jay Shaun Marcum. He seemed to begin running out of gas in September. The Lawrie for Marcum trade looks even better for the Jays.

• cintiphil - Oct 11, 2011 at 11:17 AM

I never thought Marcum was as good as advertised. Anyway, the real problem I see here, is that with Albert hitting like he did yesterday, the birds will almost have to resign him. We will never get him out of this division if he continues with that performance.

• paperlions - Oct 11, 2011 at 11:34 AM

He’ll retire in another 10 years….so, you are most of the way toward getting rid of him.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 11, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Cincy: I know you are probably tired of seeing him in the lineup on a regular basis. But at the sametime…I have plenty of buddies who are Redlegs fans and they like the fact that he is in the NL Central. It actually reflects well on the Divison as a whole. Either way…for obvious reasons I say….PAY THE MAN!

6. materialman80 - Oct 11, 2011 at 2:41 PM

The Brew Crew didn’t look quite so cocky last night. Nice game Albert!!!

7. thefalcon123 - Oct 11, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Need more proof that pitcher’s wins are a stupid, stupid statistic?

Last night’s winning pitcher was Lance Lynn…
    …he threw 1 pitch.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 11, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Yeah, but it was perhaps the biggest pitch of the night.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3137)