Angels’ firings continue as scout is let go after 27 years in the organization

Oct 11, 2011, 12:16 PM EST

rally monkey angels

As part of a housecleaning that already included the general manager, director of player personnel, and two key front office assistants the Angels have now fired longtime scout Rich Schlenker after 27 years in the organization.

And not only that, according to the 68-year-old scout he was fired “in a 30-second phone call.”

Schlenker called it “a cold business” and told Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times that “there was no thank-you for all the years I put in … they just told me they weren’t renewing my contract.”

Asked about the nature of the firing, Angels vice president of communications Tim Mead replied: “The service of everyone who has worked in this organization has always been appreciated, on all levels.”

Something tells me Schlenker may disagree and as Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles notes the timing of the firing could make it difficult for him to land another job.

1. rollinghighwayblues - Oct 11, 2011 at 12:31 PM

“That’s the way baseball go”

• Old Gator - Oct 11, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Yeah, class is clearly at a premium in Anaheim.

• rollinghighwayblues - Oct 11, 2011 at 1:12 PM

No kidding. A thirty second phone call to a man that has put in all that time? They could’ve at least made it a personal meeting. What a joke.

2. bloodysock - Oct 11, 2011 at 1:02 PM

About one second per year of service. It surely is a cold business in Anaheim.

3. cosanostra71 - Oct 11, 2011 at 1:06 PM

can’t say this is something I would get upset over. what do they need to spend time on? you’re not being renewed, we’re going in a new direction. what else is there to say?

• mkd - Oct 11, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Go work someplace for 27 years, get fired in a 30 second phone call and then come back and reread this comment.

• Tim OShenko - Oct 11, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Oh, they could’ve said something along the lines of “we appreciate your 27 years of service,” or “thank you for all you’ve contributed over the years.” Or even offer some explanation as to why, after 27 years, they suddenly felt his work no longer justified his salary.

Do you honestly mean to say that if you, after working nearly three decades at the same company, were told by your boss, “You’re fired. Good-bye,” without any explanation, you wouldn’t get upset? Because that seems highly unusual to me.

4. dailyrev - Oct 11, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Welcome to Corporate America, Rich! “We’re going in a new direction” Ha! I’ve heard that one before, and can translate: “we’re going in the same f&*%ing direction we’ve been going for years, except that you’re not on the wagon ride to Hell from here on out. You’ve been paid for your years of loyalty and service, now get out.”

It has, apparently, always been so. I remember when I got my first job in Corporate America, I was jumping out of my skin with pride and excitement. I went home for the weekend to tell my old man in person, and his response was sobering: “Brian, congratulations. Now let me tell you something I hope you’ll remember sometime later on: the company will ask for your loyalty, and you will be tempted to give it. Just remember this: the company does not give loyalty back, that isn’t how it works. When it’s done with you, the company will throw you aside like a sack of shit. Just keep that in the back of your mind during your career: with the Company, loyalty is a one-way street.”

Naturally, I forgot those words as soon as I started working. But baby, I’ve been forced to recall them time and time again these past 2 decades…

• Gamera the Brave - Oct 11, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Very true, rev –
      In the middle of massive layoffs at my company, and they are whipping us like dogs, followed by pink slips.
      Good times…

5. qcubed3 - Oct 11, 2011 at 2:09 PM

That’s about as pathetic as it gets. The man was clearly a good scout to have lasted 27 years in the first place. If the Angels want to go in a different direction with this guy, it would seem the least they could have done was tell him face to face. Instead, the Angels really did do the least they could do.

6. richb22 - Oct 11, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Agreed, after 27 years of service what a crappy way to be fired. I can understand they are looking to go in another direction after their September melt down (again). I think it may be time to look at Mike Scioscia, even though he is a good Skipper he may be getting a bit too comfortable. If you look at their division they are probably in the weekest in the A.L. and Texas is going to be a real good team for the next several years with the players they have aquired over the past 2-3 years. And with the attendance
    at the Big-A always high maybe Arte Moreno should give up some of his scratch and aquire some more big bats and a few good closers.

7. cur68 - Oct 11, 2011 at 5:07 PM

I don’t get what’s up with the Angels. They get rid of a guy who’s a legit contender as an All Star catcher (see Napoli, Mike) and get a guy who’s a legit evil miscreant (see Well, Vernon*) and now, when its time to tweak the team a bit, they start setting fire to the very structure that allowed them to be legitimately great in the face of some bad signings and front office moves. If scouting wasn’t part of their strengths they’d have been nowhere. This seems stupid, poor optically, and short sighted to fire a guy like Rich Schlenker.

*hyperbole; Vern’s a pretty nice guy in reality. He just always comes up big when I don’t want him too and tanks like Panzer when I want him to be good.

• tacklemeelmo - Oct 11, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Maybe its just society.

8. foreverchipper10 - Oct 11, 2011 at 6:20 PM

I miss the rally monkey.

9. cosanostra71 - Oct 12, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Forever chipper, the Rally Monkey is still around and shows up on occasion. Unfortunately, the team hasn’t been in many positions to make rallies in the last few years.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester