Did Prince Fielder just play his final home game with the Brewers?

Oct 11, 2011, 1:00 AM EST

St Louis Cardinals v Milwaukee Brewers - Game Two Getty Images

There’s still plenty of baseball left to be played, so we might be getting a little bit ahead of ourselves here, but Monday’s win by the Cardinals at least makes it possible that Prince Fielder has played his final game at Miller Park as a member of the Brewers.

With the series now tied 1-1, the Brewers will have to win one of the next three games in St. Louis to ensure that they return home to Milwaukee for a potential Game 6 on Sunday. For what it’s worth, I picked the Brewers to win the series in six games, so I’m not ready to declare them dead yet.

Fielder, who will be in high demand as a free agent this winter, went 2-for-3 with a solo homer and a double in Monday’s blowout loss. The 27-year-old first baseman is hitting .333 (8-for-24) with three homers, three doubles, six RBI and a 5/4 K/BB ratio during the postseason.

1. scmorg1974 - Oct 11, 2011 at 1:26 AM

Pa-Lease come to Seattle Prince! I promise you will play better than the last Brewer 1st baseman to come here. Actually every M’s 1st baseman has played better in Seattle than Sexson since he left.

• mjames1229 - Oct 11, 2011 at 1:38 AM

Russell Branyon was there after Sexson….

• Reflex - Oct 11, 2011 at 3:06 AM

Thanks, but no. I’d rather watch Smoak develop. Prince would be an expensive piece that will age poorly and be paid like an elite 1B but be relegated to DH in a couple years. The M’s could put thier money in better places, like third base and left field, or even spending on a halfway decent DH(which would be far cheaper than paying Fielder to ‘play’ 1B).

2. halladaysbicep - Oct 11, 2011 at 1:26 AM

Howard looked great tonight. Halladay or Howard for NLCS MVP bitches. Expecting CGSO from Cole on Wednesday. Go Phillies!

• kopy - Oct 11, 2011 at 9:01 AM

What is the real life like of a person that pretends to be someone else on the internet?

• halladaysbicep - Oct 11, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Ask your mother.

3. texasstarz90 - Oct 11, 2011 at 4:15 AM

He will be playing with Texas next year

4. purnellmeagrejr - Oct 11, 2011 at 6:37 AM

Enough with the ‘has ????” played his last home game in “???????” That said, I heard Mike Francesa wants him for the Yanks to play on his all pudgy team.

5. Francisco (FC) - Oct 11, 2011 at 8:26 AM

The series is tied 1-1 why should anyone be declared dead yet? Or is Brewer Nation in a panic?

• kopy - Oct 11, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Panic?! This team is BUILT to win the World Series. Anything else would be an epic collapse and a failure. And screw karma!!!

• kopy - Oct 11, 2011 at 9:06 AM

But on a serious and non-snarky note. The Brewer nation pulse was that last night’s game would be the most likely loss since Marcum never seems to pitch well at home and the Cards would be rebounding. Truthfully, last night’s result wasn’t a big surprise, but another blowout would be.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 11, 2011 at 9:46 AM

LOL! Save the snark for Biceps and Chris. I appreciate the effort but it’s used to better effect on those guys who have been on record going over the top. My panic comment was a sort of rebuke to D.J. I mean the whole article feels a bit loaded with hypebole. Last game in Milwaukee? I know he’s writing theoritcally but come on, this article might make more sense in a few days if the Cards go up 2-1 or 3-1.

As for Me, as early as July I was a voice of caution citing that good a streak from the Braves and a poor slide from the Phillies would topple them from the NL East perch. As it happens the Braves first suffered key injuries and then imploded completely. So I guess that concern was unfounded.

As for Marcum, you roll the dice I guess. I mean he could have pitched brilliantly. Sometimes I wonder if these home/road splits aren’t some sort of self-fulfilling prophesy in some way. Like, for a while the guy finds himself in those splits and then he psychs himself into it every time he goes on the mound.

• cardsfanindelaware - Oct 11, 2011 at 11:01 AM

hmmmm, seems to me that is what everyone was saying about Philly from the 1st day of spring training until the Cardinals eliminated them in the NLDS!!

6. kopy - Oct 11, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Yeah, I really don’t see the Cards taking the next three, but you never know I guess. I’m kind of mad that Marcum pitched last night. It was well documented that he pitches better on the road, and now he might get two starts at home when he could have easily pitched games 3 & 7 or maybe 3 & 6 and gotten at least one road game. I guess the Brewers must feel like his home/road splits are coincidence. I’m not so convinced of that.

Either way, the Brewers aren’t going to be winning any games by scoring 3 runs, so maybe it’s just as well Marcum got blown up. This is going to be an offensive series, and the Brewers need to keep hitting if they want to come out on top. All the starters need to do is not do what Marcum did, because generally speaking, Saito, Rodriguez, and Axford are a very tough bridge to break.

7. cintiphil - Oct 11, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Come on D.J..I think you are a bit premature with this comment. Do you really think the Brewers will lose 3 in a row in St.Louis? I don’t think so. Prince has a great shot at coming back to Milwaukee and even winning this series to go to the big dance. Lets not get over dramatic yet!

• bravesman1983 - Oct 11, 2011 at 4:43 PM

There was nothing overdramatic or premature about D.J.’s post. All he said was that it is possible. And it is possible, so he’s right. Settle down.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5034)
  2. M. Kemp (3538)
  3. J. Upton (2778)
  4. J. Kang (2768)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2683)
  1. C. McGehee (2677)