Hunter Pence, Placido Polanco have sports hernia surgeries

Oct 11, 2011, 12:48 PM EST

Hunter Pence

Or at least everyone is assuming it was sports hernia surgery, because as David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News points out the Phillies didn’t make an official announcement yet after saying last week that Pence would have an MRI exam.

Placido Polanco also underwent sports hernia surgery. Double hernia surgery, in fact. But like Pence he’ll have plenty of time to get healthy for spring training.

Pence is under the Phillies’ control in 2012 via the arbitration process while Polanco is signed for $6.25 million.

1. halladaysbiceps - Oct 11, 2011 at 1:11 PM

“Hunter Pence announced via Twitter that his sports hernia surgery this morning “went well” and he’s “feeling good.”

Yeah, pain killers will do that for you after surgery.

• thefalcon123 - Oct 11, 2011 at 1:36 PM

No, pain killers only make you feel slightly less like you want to curl up in a ball and die after an abdominal surgery.

• thefalcon123 - Oct 11, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Edit: It should read “lie flat as a board and die”. Curling up in a ball after abdominal surgery would be very painful.

• gogigantos - Oct 11, 2011 at 1:48 PM

I hope your meds are holding out, you need something stronger than 12oz cans there bubba

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 11, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Yeah, maybe your boy Lincecum can hook me up with some quality hash.

2. drmonkeyarmy - Oct 11, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Other highlights from RAJ’s press conference as reported by Matt Gelb:
    1. He will sign a veteran closer if Madson is not resigned
    2. Wants Dom Brown to spend full season with the Iron Pigs
    3. Falls on the side of minor tinkering to the roster rather than wholesale changes
    4. Would like to resign Rollins…Rollins said “great chance” he resigns in Philly but then went on to say he wants a 5 year deal…so we will see.

• dbick - Oct 11, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Dom Brown is going to be lucky if he’s called up by the time he is 30. Why do you hate him so much RAJ? WHYYY

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 11, 2011 at 2:04 PM

I don’t know…I’d throw him out there in left field next year. Can’t be worse than Ibanez. Let Jr. play first. See what happens.

• kellyb9 - Oct 11, 2011 at 2:19 PM

I think the plan is to give Mayberry a shot as an everyday player… or sign someone else.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 11, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Yeah, but Jr. will get his shot at first base in my opinion. I don’t see Howard making it back before the AS break if at all next year.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 11, 2011 at 5:39 PM

I gather the impression that RAJ wanted Dom to have a full season of AAA this year before even moving up in the majors but that Charlie was quite insistent on calling him up due to the hole in right field. Of course, take that statement with a pinch of salt and whatever favorite garnish you might have on hand. I think calling up Brown in 2010 and then leaving him up there to rot on the bench did not do him any favors. I think that if he had been sent down as soon as Victorino had healed he could have gone back to AAA wiser and thankful. Maybe his 2011 might have developed differently…. or not.

3. clydeserra - Oct 11, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Are they going to be ready for the World Series?

• halladaysbiceps - Oct 11, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Hahahahahaahahah!!! What do you think?

• clydeserra - Oct 11, 2011 at 2:13 PM

If hamels pitches that shutout tonight, I bet they won’t need them.

• gogigantos - Oct 11, 2011 at 2:21 PM

I think the pitching staff of the ages is a year older and the offense is a step closer to walkers and wheelchairs
        see you next season old men

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 11, 2011 at 5:41 PM

interesting comment on the offense coming from a Giants fan :) To that team’s credit they’re already sending a few folks to nursing homes.

4. dailyrev - Oct 11, 2011 at 2:59 PM

This condition (technical term is “athletic pubalgia”) is closely related to that other bane of modern baseball pros, the oblique injury. Both are extremely painful, and both are related to strains or (in the case of pubalgia) lesions to abdominal muscles and/or rectal or pubic muscles. And I still say they both can be managed and more importantly prevented with the right pre-workout and pre-game stretches, namely, yoga. I focus on yoga because it has a proven track record (just a few thousand years’ worth) of deeply working abdominal, para-ab, and pubic muscles as no Western stretching can match.

So if pro athletes can get over their egos, their answer is easily available. Let’s make it fun for them: the rooks have to use pink mats (with Dora the Explorer logos) to do their pre-game yoga. But if I were an MLB trainer, I team up with Skip to make this a requirement. If these guys had not been experiencing agony in their pelvic floors during the LDS, they might still be playing…

• xmatt0926x - Oct 11, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Dailyrev kind of stole my thunder. Every other team deals with the new plague of baseball, the “oblique” injury. The Phillies are sticking with the sports hernia. I read that hamels also has a possible hernia. Unreal.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5151)