Oct 11, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
For now Magglio Ordonez remains with the Tigers during the ALCS, watching the games from the dugout after re-fracturing the same ankle he injured last year, but Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that he “almost certainly” will undergo another surgery.
Ordonez is scheduled to be examined by a foot specialist back in Detroit and is expected to seek a second opinion as well, but eventually going under the knife will be necessary.
Tigers trainer Kevin Rand explained that the first fracture was vertical while the second fracture is horizontal, noting that the pressure and stress of everyday activities combined with the screws already holding together his ankle caused a gradual split that Ordonez initially thought was simply soreness.
Jim Leyland told Beck that Ordonez was planning to play next season at age 38, but those plans may change with a lengthy rehab process in front of him. If he does come back and put off retirement Ordonez will likely have to settle for an incentive-laden one-year contract or perhaps even a minor-league deal. He earned $10 million this season while hitting just .255 with five homers and a .634 OPS in 92 games for the worst production of his underrated career.
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 13
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 70
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)