Oct 11, 2011, 11:51 AM EST
Moreland, who’s just 2-for-17 during the playoffs and went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts in Game 2, will be replaced at first base with Michael Young while Mike Napoli gets a break from catching duties at designated hitter and Yorvit Torrealba moves into the lineup behind the plate.
During the regular season Moreland hit .266 with a .783 OPS versus righties compared to .234 with a .577 OPS versus lefties, but because Detroit doesn’t have a left-handed pitcher in the rotation Washington’s usual routine of sitting Moreland against southpaws isn’t any option.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 18
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 59
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)