Oct 11, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Moreland, who’s just 2-for-17 during the playoffs and went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts in Game 2, will be replaced at first base with Michael Young while Mike Napoli gets a break from catching duties at designated hitter and Yorvit Torrealba moves into the lineup behind the plate.
During the regular season Moreland hit .266 with a .783 OPS versus righties compared to .234 with a .577 OPS versus lefties, but because Detroit doesn’t have a left-handed pitcher in the rotation Washington’s usual routine of sitting Moreland against southpaws isn’t any option.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 22
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 37
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 138
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (140)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (138)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)