Oct 11, 2011, 11:51 AM EST
Moreland, who’s just 2-for-17 during the playoffs and went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts in Game 2, will be replaced at first base with Michael Young while Mike Napoli gets a break from catching duties at designated hitter and Yorvit Torrealba moves into the lineup behind the plate.
During the regular season Moreland hit .266 with a .783 OPS versus righties compared to .234 with a .577 OPS versus lefties, but because Detroit doesn’t have a left-handed pitcher in the rotation Washington’s usual routine of sitting Moreland against southpaws isn’t any option.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 20
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 45
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)