Oct 11, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
In removing Skip Schumaker from the NLCS roster because of an oblique injury the Cardinals initially expected him to miss the remainder of the playoffs, but now the utility man is hoping to be available if they reach the World Series.
“There’s been a lot of improvement from then to now,” Schumaker told Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch. “I wouldn’t have been as optimistic two days ago, or even yesterday, but if it continues to improve at this rate I think there’s a very good chance.”
Of course, Strauss notes that Schumaker “has yet to swing or throw since injuring himself” in Game 5 of the NLDS, so he’s far from a sure thing unless Tony La Russa decides to go the same route Jim Leyland did by playing a clearly still-injured Delmon Young.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17