Oct 12, 2011, 3:45 PM EDT
As the stories about Red Sox pitchers drinking in the clubhouse get bigger and bigger White Sox catcher (and FOX television analyst) A.J. Pierzynski admitted during a radio interview today that he’s also knocked back a beer or two during games.
Here’s what Pierzynski said while appearing on Dan Patrick’s show:
Yes, absolutely I have before. Sometimes you’re just really struggling and you just say, “Hey, you know what, I need something to calm me down and let’s have a beer.” A couple of us will do it together, and sometimes it works out. It’s just, sometimes you just need a rally beer. If you’re in extra innings and you’re in about the 15th inning and you really need to get going again, that sometimes works for you.
Pierzynski didn’t name any names beyond himself, but given that he’s played for the White Sox since 2005 that’s basically an admission that mid-game beer drinking goes on in Chicago’s clubhouse. He also revealed that several White Sox players drank shots before a 2008 playoff game against the Rays.
Because all that stuff doesn’t fit into the Red Sox collapse narrative and the Chicago media don’t seem to care even a fraction as much as the Boston media it’ll barely be a blip on the radar, but clearly Terry Francona wasn’t the only manager unable or unwilling to stop his players from drinking in the middle of games.
No word yet about the White Sox’s policy on in-game fried chicken.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (101)