Oct 12, 2011, 3:45 PM EDT
As the stories about Red Sox pitchers drinking in the clubhouse get bigger and bigger White Sox catcher (and FOX television analyst) A.J. Pierzynski admitted during a radio interview today that he’s also knocked back a beer or two during games.
Here’s what Pierzynski said while appearing on Dan Patrick’s show:
Yes, absolutely I have before. Sometimes you’re just really struggling and you just say, “Hey, you know what, I need something to calm me down and let’s have a beer.” A couple of us will do it together, and sometimes it works out. It’s just, sometimes you just need a rally beer. If you’re in extra innings and you’re in about the 15th inning and you really need to get going again, that sometimes works for you.
Pierzynski didn’t name any names beyond himself, but given that he’s played for the White Sox since 2005 that’s basically an admission that mid-game beer drinking goes on in Chicago’s clubhouse. He also revealed that several White Sox players drank shots before a 2008 playoff game against the Rays.
Because all that stuff doesn’t fit into the Red Sox collapse narrative and the Chicago media don’t seem to care even a fraction as much as the Boston media it’ll barely be a blip on the radar, but clearly Terry Francona wasn’t the only manager unable or unwilling to stop his players from drinking in the middle of games.
No word yet about the White Sox’s policy on in-game fried chicken.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 45
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)