Oct 12, 2011, 3:45 PM EDT
As the stories about Red Sox pitchers drinking in the clubhouse get bigger and bigger White Sox catcher (and FOX television analyst) A.J. Pierzynski admitted during a radio interview today that he’s also knocked back a beer or two during games.
Here’s what Pierzynski said while appearing on Dan Patrick’s show:
Yes, absolutely I have before. Sometimes you’re just really struggling and you just say, “Hey, you know what, I need something to calm me down and let’s have a beer.” A couple of us will do it together, and sometimes it works out. It’s just, sometimes you just need a rally beer. If you’re in extra innings and you’re in about the 15th inning and you really need to get going again, that sometimes works for you.
Pierzynski didn’t name any names beyond himself, but given that he’s played for the White Sox since 2005 that’s basically an admission that mid-game beer drinking goes on in Chicago’s clubhouse. He also revealed that several White Sox players drank shots before a 2008 playoff game against the Rays.
Because all that stuff doesn’t fit into the Red Sox collapse narrative and the Chicago media don’t seem to care even a fraction as much as the Boston media it’ll barely be a blip on the radar, but clearly Terry Francona wasn’t the only manager unable or unwilling to stop his players from drinking in the middle of games.
No word yet about the White Sox’s policy on in-game fried chicken.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 9
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 1
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 11
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 141
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (141)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)