Oct 12, 2011, 3:45 PM EDT
As the stories about Red Sox pitchers drinking in the clubhouse get bigger and bigger White Sox catcher (and FOX television analyst) A.J. Pierzynski admitted during a radio interview today that he’s also knocked back a beer or two during games.
Here’s what Pierzynski said while appearing on Dan Patrick’s show:
Yes, absolutely I have before. Sometimes you’re just really struggling and you just say, “Hey, you know what, I need something to calm me down and let’s have a beer.” A couple of us will do it together, and sometimes it works out. It’s just, sometimes you just need a rally beer. If you’re in extra innings and you’re in about the 15th inning and you really need to get going again, that sometimes works for you.
Pierzynski didn’t name any names beyond himself, but given that he’s played for the White Sox since 2005 that’s basically an admission that mid-game beer drinking goes on in Chicago’s clubhouse. He also revealed that several White Sox players drank shots before a 2008 playoff game against the Rays.
Because all that stuff doesn’t fit into the Red Sox collapse narrative and the Chicago media don’t seem to care even a fraction as much as the Boston media it’ll barely be a blip on the radar, but clearly Terry Francona wasn’t the only manager unable or unwilling to stop his players from drinking in the middle of games.
No word yet about the White Sox’s policy on in-game fried chicken.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 9
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 17
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 82
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (82)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)