A.J. Pierzynski admits to drinking during games because “sometimes you just need a rally beer”

Oct 12, 2011, 3:45 PM EST

A.J. Pierzynski, Adam Dunn

As the stories about Red Sox pitchers drinking in the clubhouse get bigger and bigger White Sox catcher (and FOX television analyst) A.J. Pierzynski admitted during a radio interview today that he’s also knocked back a beer or two during games.

Here’s what Pierzynski said while appearing on Dan Patrick’s show:

Yes, absolutely I have before. Sometimes you’re just really struggling and you just say, “Hey, you know what, I need something to calm me down and let’s have a beer.” A couple of us will do it together, and sometimes it works out. It’s just, sometimes you just need a rally beer. If you’re in extra innings and you’re in about the 15th inning and you really need to get going again, that sometimes works for you.

Pierzynski didn’t name any names beyond himself, but given that he’s played for the White Sox since 2005 that’s basically an admission that mid-game beer drinking goes on in Chicago’s clubhouse. He also revealed that several White Sox players drank shots before a 2008 playoff game against the Rays.

Because all that stuff doesn’t fit into the Red Sox collapse narrative and the Chicago media don’t seem to care even a fraction as much as the Boston media it’ll barely be a blip on the radar, but clearly Terry Francona wasn’t the only manager unable or unwilling to stop his players from drinking in the middle of games.

No word yet about the White Sox’s policy on in-game fried chicken.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Oct 12, 2011 at 3:49 PM

So because it’s not Boston, nobody will view this as an issue? How is this not a relatively big issue? In what world is it acceptable for professionals of any variety to be drinking while working?

• kopy - Oct 12, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Because the White Sox don’t get nearly the same kind of scrutinized attention as the other kind of Sox.
      There are actually more than you might think. I know a lot of marketing/advertising professionals that have plenty of beer, even kegs, in their offices to get the “creativity” flowing. However, I work in a traditional business office, so I can’t partake, but that’s probably a good thing.

• The Rabbit - Oct 12, 2011 at 5:15 PM

You beat me to it, kopy.
        Back in the early days of my career, it was considered the height of success to have a bottle of scotch in one drawer and Maalox in the other. The 3 martini lunch was also very commonplace.
        Wasn’t my thing but didn’t seem to stop a lot of people from performing their jobs well.

• thefrenchyconnection - Oct 12, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Strippers?

• jwbiii - Oct 12, 2011 at 4:10 PM

A friend of mine was an in-house attorney for Phillip Morris during the time they owned Miller Brewing. Every morning, he had two packs of Marlboros on his desk and a six of Miller in his office mini-fridge.

• mkd - Oct 12, 2011 at 4:30 PM

What world is that acceptable?

The rest of planet Earth actually. Light and casual alcohol consumption during the workday is a pretty common phenomenon in South America, Europe and Asia. We just have a few puritanical hangups here in the US that make it seem like a beer in the afternoon is one step removed from murder.

• steveohho - Oct 12, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Rt MKD!

For example, with the exception of the USA, cafes and coffee shops around the world serve beer and liquor simultaneously. So when ordering a shot at a coffee shop you need to be clear whether its an espresso or a belt.

• jwbiii - Oct 12, 2011 at 4:54 PM

French riot police threaten to strike over alcohol ban

• pjmarn6 - Oct 13, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Clue me in does alcohol help or harm your athletic abilities? I have heard that it deteriorates one’s sexual abilities and makes quite a few people’s response time poorer. And you do need to be really sharp to get that lumber on that white orb and judge those liners…………….

• anxovies - Oct 13, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Lighten up, doctor. Kick back and have a cold one and it will become a lot clearer to you.

• purnellmeagrejr - Oct 13, 2011 at 9:00 AM

writers, dummy.

2. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 12, 2011 at 3:51 PM

This is totally different from Lackey, Lester and Beckett drinking beers and playing video games WHILE THEIR TEAM WAS OUT PLAYING ON THE FIELD. As I said before, every single game the Phillies played(and I am sure they weren’t the only team) included Doc, Lee, Hamels, Oswalt, and Worley in the dugout the entire game while one of their fellow starters pitched. What those idiots in Boston did was inexcusable and they should be roasted for it, whether it tangibly contributed to their collapse or not.

• meteor32 - Oct 12, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Wouldn’t this be much worse since AJ was actually out playing on the field in these games were he was drinking?

• CJ - Oct 12, 2011 at 4:21 PM

In a way, yes, but the Doc isn’t referring to any hazards of the job or moralness or whatever. Just that it shows complete disrespect toward your teammates which fractures the lockerrom. THAT, to most Sox fansI presume is the problem, not so much the drinking on the job part.

Whether that should bethe case or not is of course debatable at best.

• Glenn - Oct 12, 2011 at 6:38 PM

It is possible for an adult to have a beer and not be impaired in any way. America has a juvenile attitude about alcohol – and coincidentally we behave the most juvenile when drinking.

• bravesman1983 - Oct 12, 2011 at 4:16 PM

You know, I’ll bet I could also crowbar the Phillies into every discussion if I wanted.

• dlevalley - Oct 12, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Chris, do you even read the article before going straight to the comments to talk about the Phillies? Because it often seems like you don’t.

3. kopy - Oct 12, 2011 at 3:51 PM

My biggest takeaway from all of this is some very damning evidence on how much baseball isn’t a very physically demanding sport.

• alfreddigs - Oct 12, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Spoken like a man who has never heard of David Wells.

4. mdpickles - Oct 12, 2011 at 3:52 PM

“sometimes you just need a rally beer”

^^works well in our softball league too :)

• b7p19 - Oct 12, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Yep, every softball player in america knows exactly what AJ is talking about. I’m a much better player with three beers in me (Well, it seems like it anyway). Can’t speak for baseball since my college inexplicably did not allow drinking before or during games.

5. hermitfool - Oct 12, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Haven’t scientists established through multiple blind studies that consumption of two or four or six beers actually improves hand eye coordination?

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 12, 2011 at 4:03 PM

So you’re saying the problem was they didn’t drink enough?

• 18thstreet - Oct 12, 2011 at 4:06 PM

I believe that study showed that six beers makes it very hard to finish the study.

• danandcasey - Oct 12, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Multiple beers also improves reaction time — provided you are Dr. Johnny Fever.

6. tuftsb - Oct 12, 2011 at 4:00 PM

If we have reached the point where beer is declared a performance enhancing drug and is banned from baseball….we will have reached Homer Simpson’s point of sobriety (“I never realized how boring this game was”)

7. halladaysbicep - Oct 12, 2011 at 4:03 PM

For the last couple years it has become a tradition at CBP for us Phans in section 101 to do shots of dick milk every game at the top of the 1st, and 7th (and every extra inning). Even Victorino would get in on it. He would have me pour one down to him before he took his position.
    I don’t want to take any credit for his talent, but I swear he seemed to really get some extra giddy up after that.

8. juicejuicer - Oct 12, 2011 at 4:04 PM

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m nowhere near a professional athlete, but I agree with what A.J. is saying about just needing ‘a rally beer’. I play ball on Sundays and there are times I just need a cold beer. But I don’t know, I just might have a problem…

Strictly stating my opinion here: I think the difference between what A.J. did and what happened in Boston is that in Boston the guys gave up on their team. A.J. is talking about having a ‘refresher’ and getting back to the battle…again, just my opinion.

• micker716 - Oct 12, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Exactly. You are nowhere near a professional athlete.

9. qcubed3 - Oct 12, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Jeez, I must need to rally all the time cause I need a rally beer almost every day

10. florida727 - Oct 12, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Aaron, wake up dude. It’s Chicago. There is no in-game fried chicken. It’s in-game deep dish pizza. What are you thinking? AJ just became my hero, by the way.

11. brewcrewfan54 - Oct 12, 2011 at 4:50 PM

I dont’t see any problem with this. As long as they aren’t getting jammered to the point that they can’t play its nothing to qorry about. Whilenot all professions can pllenty of people go out to lunch at work and have a drink. Baseball players can too.

12. ditka96 - Oct 12, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Maybe thats why Adam Dunn sucked with the White Sox…..

• Bryz - Oct 12, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Because he had a rally keg every day?

13. seattlej - Oct 12, 2011 at 9:22 PM

I just had a rally beer, and I feel that I wrote this comment more efficiently than ever.

14. micker716 - Oct 12, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Remember the argument? If alcohol helps your performance (darts, bowling, maybe golf) then it’s not a sport. This is Baseball. I find it unacceptable that a depressant drug can enhance your abilities to play the game.

• anxovies - Oct 13, 2011 at 8:44 AM

I don’t know about that. It worked pretty well for the Babe and Mickey, micker.

• purnellmeagrejr - Oct 13, 2011 at 9:04 AM

unacceptable is might strong language, pardner.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2827)
  2. W. Myers (2588)
  3. D. Ross (2295)
  4. C. McGehee (2212)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2020)
  1. J. Shields (1930)