It’s gonna be a wet night in St. Louis

Oct 12, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT

It seems like every time we have a good pitching matchup Mother Nature decides that we’re not worthy of it, throws some rain down and forces us to endure Middle Reliever And Fifth Starter Theater.

Looks like that’s on tap for tonight in St. Louis as the Gallardo-Carpenter duel will almost certainly be interrupted by the wet stuff:

source:

Oh well. “Narveson” almost sounds like a prescription drug. Maybe something that would help me metabolize my food better or something. Maybe I need more of that in my diet.

1. stlouis1baseball - Oct 12, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Thanks Craig! LOL!

2. Francisco (FC) - Oct 12, 2011 at 2:39 PM

What? No ranting against Aquaman? :D

• CJ - Oct 12, 2011 at 2:48 PM

man, and I was hoping the first guy’d be the only one to comment. That would’ve been hilarious.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 12, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Yeah…you “East Coast biased” guys had to screw it up didn’t you?

3. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 12, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Enough of the midwest bias :D

4. drmonkeyarmy - Oct 12, 2011 at 2:58 PM

I clicked on this thread hoping for a rousing discussion about the game, but it seems to be the same nonsense that is on every other thread. So, given the probability of poor weather, who thinks it would be a good idea to start Carpenter tomorrow and pitch Lohse tonight?

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 12, 2011 at 3:06 PM

I have wondered the same thing Monkey. The last thing they need is for Carp to pitch innings 1 – 4 then have it postponed. I am not sure what the answer is. Maybe Lohse wouldn’t be a bad idea considering the probability for serious rain delays (as Brian also posted below). What would your call be?

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 12, 2011 at 3:13 PM

I haven’t looked at a radar map so I don’t know what the real probability of a weather delay is. If there is absolutely going to be a weather delay, I go with Lohse. Chances are he is going to give you 5 good innings before sucking. So, you will have to use the bullpen anyway, thereby saving Carpenter for tomorrow when hopefully (for Cards fans) he can go deep into the game. The problem with this logic would be that if Carpenter pitches tomorrow, he is most likely done for the series (particularly after the debacle of NLDS Game 2). It is quite the quandary. The last thing you want to have happen is for you to push Carpenter back and have there be no rain. It is a tough call.

• Kyle - Oct 12, 2011 at 3:11 PM

I would definitely entertain that scenario if I were TLR. Carp could always prepare to come in for long relief, game situation/weather permitting.

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 12, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Yeah, if the weather is suppose to turn bad early, TLR could always go with the bullpen to start the game then whip out Carpenter once the delay is over. That is a good idea Kyle. I think he did something like that during the regular season.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 12, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Yeah…he did that against the Redlegs with Dusty pitching his starter and having to pull him right away. It was not only a very good call…but made Dusty look like an idiot for not considering the same thing. Redlegs fans were flat out pissed off.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 12, 2011 at 3:48 PM

I remember the incident, he pulled a fast one because he knew the rain was a coming. The other team (I can’t recall which) was all befuddled. They were depending on the cards giving them accurate weather information. You would think with all the I-Pads lying around in baseball clubhouses now one of them would have opened up Weatherbug or something similar.

• The Rabbit - Oct 12, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I remember it, too. TLR started Batista (He threw only a few pitches before the delay) and brought in McClellan when play resumed. It was against the Reds.
        At the moment, it is still raining here (180 miles SW of St. Louis) so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that there will be a game tonight.

• Lukehart80 - Oct 12, 2011 at 3:48 PM

I think it depends on whether that means LaRussa would bring Carpenter back for Game 7 on short rest or not.

If the choices are: Carpenter for 4 innings tonight and starting Game 7 OR Carpenter starts Game 4, but won’t pitch in Game 7, I’d go with 4 innings tonight and starting Game 7.

Since Carpenter’s short-rest start went poorly in the LDS, I’m not sure LaRussa would let him go again on short rest, and I don’t want Carpenter just pitching Game 4.

• cintiphil - Oct 12, 2011 at 4:29 PM

St. Louis1 Baseball:
        The only thing the Reds fans were mad about is WHY we don’t have TLR as our manager.

5. Brian Donohue - Oct 12, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Same front moves over Det. tomorrow with Verlander scheduled, and Leyland might have a lot less wiggle room by then. TLR and Roenicke can at least read the radar tonight and decide on pulling/saving Yo or Carp for a drier day with no delays.

6. chadh88 - Oct 12, 2011 at 3:04 PM

After the delay will TLR use McClellan in long relief or let Westbrook get hammered?

• drmonkeyarmy - Oct 12, 2011 at 3:06 PM

I think the better question is, which team is more likely to eat fried chicken and biscuits during the weather delay while drinking beer?

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 12, 2011 at 3:10 PM

From what I understand…that is a day in the life of a Red Sox pitcher.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 12, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Westbrook isn’t on the NLCS roster.

• chadh88 - Oct 12, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Yeah, I realized that a couple minutes ago. I guess it comes down to Lynn or McClellan then. Who knows, maybe scrabble will even get in a game.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 12, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Wait, so there’s drinking going on in the Cardinal’s clubhouse too? It’s a beer epidemic I say!

Westbrook isn’t on the NLCS roster.

That would explain Westbrook’s desire to get hammered.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3926)