Oct 12, 2011, 6:21 PM EDT
The minor operation was performed by Dr. Craig Morgan in Wilmington, Deleware and deemed an initial success. Masterson should be fully recovered by the start of spring training next February.
The 26-year-old right-hander registered a solid 3.21 ERA and 158/65 K/BB ratio across 216 innings this season for the second-place Indians.
Unless Ubaldo Jimenez gets the nod, Masterson could be Cleveland’s Opening Day starter in 2012.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 29
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 236
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (236)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)