Oct 12, 2011, 8:13 PM EDT
When veteran outfielder Magglio Ordonez fractured his right ankle last week for the second time in 14 months, many assumed that the 37-year-old would be forced to hang up his baseball cleats for good.
But that might not be the case.
According to SI.com’s Jon Heyman, Ordonez “is said to want to keep playing” and the “initial belief” is that the renewed ankle fracture will not force him to call it quits prematurely on his 15-year career.
Ordonez is set to become a free agent this winter, and finding legitimate suitors could be a challenge because of his age and recent injury history.
The Caracas, Venezuela native also batted just .255/.303/.331 with only five home runs and 32 RBI in 357 plate appearances this season while showing diminished range defensively. But maybe he’ll find a club desperate to add a “veteran presence.” Those type of teams still exist, right?
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 32
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 9
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)