Oct 12, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
Remember back in August 2010 when Deadspin posted a bunch of leaked financial documents from the Pirates, Rays, Marlins, Angels and other teams? And how it showed that no matter whether we think of a team as “rich” or “poor,” they all make gobs of money and employ all manner of fun accounting tricks to obscure the reality of the situation? Yeah, that was fun.
Well, for us anyway. Not at all fun for an insurance company that Major League Baseball is taking to court because it won’t cooperate with the league as it tries to figure out who leaked that stuff:
In papers filed Oct. 7 in New York Supreme Court, the commissioner’s office wants Beazley Insurance Co. Inc. to show cause why it shouldn’t be required to produce records that could identify the source of leaks. MLB said Beazley refused to cooperate with baseball’s investigation into a story by The Associated Press, published in August 2010, and club documents posted by Deadspin.com, that same month.
Martin Klotz, a lawyer for baseball, said in legal papers that six insurers received the confidential financial information from teams and that all except Beazley cooperated with MLB’s investigation.
Hmmm, I wonder why they wouldn’t cooperate. I’m sure it’s principle. Yes, this is a stand in favor of liberty and information wanting to be free or some such.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)