Oct 12, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
Remember back in August 2010 when Deadspin posted a bunch of leaked financial documents from the Pirates, Rays, Marlins, Angels and other teams? And how it showed that no matter whether we think of a team as “rich” or “poor,” they all make gobs of money and employ all manner of fun accounting tricks to obscure the reality of the situation? Yeah, that was fun.
Well, for us anyway. Not at all fun for an insurance company that Major League Baseball is taking to court because it won’t cooperate with the league as it tries to figure out who leaked that stuff:
In papers filed Oct. 7 in New York Supreme Court, the commissioner’s office wants Beazley Insurance Co. Inc. to show cause why it shouldn’t be required to produce records that could identify the source of leaks. MLB said Beazley refused to cooperate with baseball’s investigation into a story by The Associated Press, published in August 2010, and club documents posted by Deadspin.com, that same month.
Martin Klotz, a lawyer for baseball, said in legal papers that six insurers received the confidential financial information from teams and that all except Beazley cooperated with MLB’s investigation.
Hmmm, I wonder why they wouldn’t cooperate. I’m sure it’s principle. Yes, this is a stand in favor of liberty and information wanting to be free or some such.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 30
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 35
- Who really owns a home run ball? 60
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)