Oct 12, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
Remember back in August 2010 when Deadspin posted a bunch of leaked financial documents from the Pirates, Rays, Marlins, Angels and other teams? And how it showed that no matter whether we think of a team as “rich” or “poor,” they all make gobs of money and employ all manner of fun accounting tricks to obscure the reality of the situation? Yeah, that was fun.
Well, for us anyway. Not at all fun for an insurance company that Major League Baseball is taking to court because it won’t cooperate with the league as it tries to figure out who leaked that stuff:
In papers filed Oct. 7 in New York Supreme Court, the commissioner’s office wants Beazley Insurance Co. Inc. to show cause why it shouldn’t be required to produce records that could identify the source of leaks. MLB said Beazley refused to cooperate with baseball’s investigation into a story by The Associated Press, published in August 2010, and club documents posted by Deadspin.com, that same month.
Martin Klotz, a lawyer for baseball, said in legal papers that six insurers received the confidential financial information from teams and that all except Beazley cooperated with MLB’s investigation.
Hmmm, I wonder why they wouldn’t cooperate. I’m sure it’s principle. Yes, this is a stand in favor of liberty and information wanting to be free or some such.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)