Oct 12, 2011, 5:47 PM EDT
Here are the lineups for Game 3 of the Brewers-Cardinals series:
MILWAUKEE BREWERS ST. LOUIS CARDINALS 1. Corey Hart, RF 1. Rafael Furcal, SS 2. Mark Kotsay, CF 2. Jon Jay, CF 3. Ryan Braun, LF 3. Albert Pujols, 1B 4. Prince Fielder, 1B 4. Matt Holliday, LF 5. Rickie Weeks, 2B 5. Lance Berkman, RF 6. Jerry Hairston Jr., 3B 6. Yadier Molina, C 7. Yuniesky Betancourt, SS 7. David Freese, 3B 8. Jonathan Lucroy, C 8. Nick Punto, 2B SP Yovani Gallardo, RHP SP Chris Carpenter, RHP
Nyjer Morgan is slumping offensively and struggling defensively, so manager Ron Roenicke has benched him for Game 3 despite facing a right-hander. However, instead of starting Carlos Gomez he’s going with Mark Kotsay, who’s 37 years old and started just nine games in center field during the regular season. Kotsay is 4-for-11 off Carpenter during his career, but 11 at-bats spread over a decade isn’t exactly meaningful.
With ground-baller Chris Carpenter on the mound Tony La Russa is going with his best defensive second baseman, Nick Punto. He’s also sticking with Matt Holliday in the cleanup spot and Lance Berkman batting fifth.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (84)