Oct 12, 2011, 5:47 PM EST
Here are the lineups for Game 3 of the Brewers-Cardinals series:
MILWAUKEE BREWERS ST. LOUIS CARDINALS 1. Corey Hart, RF 1. Rafael Furcal, SS 2. Mark Kotsay, CF 2. Jon Jay, CF 3. Ryan Braun, LF 3. Albert Pujols, 1B 4. Prince Fielder, 1B 4. Matt Holliday, LF 5. Rickie Weeks, 2B 5. Lance Berkman, RF 6. Jerry Hairston Jr., 3B 6. Yadier Molina, C 7. Yuniesky Betancourt, SS 7. David Freese, 3B 8. Jonathan Lucroy, C 8. Nick Punto, 2B SP Yovani Gallardo, RHP SP Chris Carpenter, RHP
Nyjer Morgan is slumping offensively and struggling defensively, so manager Ron Roenicke has benched him for Game 3 despite facing a right-hander. However, instead of starting Carlos Gomez he’s going with Mark Kotsay, who’s 37 years old and started just nine games in center field during the regular season. Kotsay is 4-for-11 off Carpenter during his career, but 11 at-bats spread over a decade isn’t exactly meaningful.
With ground-baller Chris Carpenter on the mound Tony La Russa is going with his best defensive second baseman, Nick Punto. He’s also sticking with Matt Holliday in the cleanup spot and Lance Berkman batting fifth.
- Grant Balfour’s deal with Orioles in “serious jeopardy” due to shoulder issue 10
- Report: Rakuten will not allow Masahiro Tanaka come to the United States 62
- Mariners showing “continued interest” in Ervin Santana 10
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! 89
- Dodgers re-sign left-handed reliever J.P. Howell to a two-year, $11.5 million contract 4