Oct 12, 2011, 11:19 AM EST
C.J. Wilson is on the verge of hitting the open market and signing a massive long-term contract as a free agent, but Rangers president Nolan Ryan said yesterday that the team won’t attempt to negotiate with him until after the season.
“We don’t believe in negotiating during the season, so we have put that on hold until after we’re through playing and we’ll start talking to C.J. and his agent and see where they are and what their thoughts are,” Ryan told Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas. “We’re totally focused on what we’re doing in trying to get to the World Series and trying to win the World Series and so that’s where our priority is.”
Ultimately there’s very little chance of Wilson agreeing to re-sign with the Rangers before testing the market anyway, so the timing and the Rangers’ policy against negotiating during the season probably don’t change things much.
Texas certainly kept rolling despite the loss of Cliff Lee last winter, but losing your No. 1 starter in back-to-back offseasons is tough to withstand. Of course, that doesn’t mean giving Wilson, say, a five-year, $75 million contract is automatically a smart move and there’s been some talk that the Rangers will pursue Japanese ace Yu Darvish if they can’t keep Wilson.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 0
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 38
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)