Oct 12, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
C.J. Wilson is on the verge of hitting the open market and signing a massive long-term contract as a free agent, but Rangers president Nolan Ryan said yesterday that the team won’t attempt to negotiate with him until after the season.
“We don’t believe in negotiating during the season, so we have put that on hold until after we’re through playing and we’ll start talking to C.J. and his agent and see where they are and what their thoughts are,” Ryan told Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas. “We’re totally focused on what we’re doing in trying to get to the World Series and trying to win the World Series and so that’s where our priority is.”
Ultimately there’s very little chance of Wilson agreeing to re-sign with the Rangers before testing the market anyway, so the timing and the Rangers’ policy against negotiating during the season probably don’t change things much.
Texas certainly kept rolling despite the loss of Cliff Lee last winter, but losing your No. 1 starter in back-to-back offseasons is tough to withstand. Of course, that doesn’t mean giving Wilson, say, a five-year, $75 million contract is automatically a smart move and there’s been some talk that the Rangers will pursue Japanese ace Yu Darvish if they can’t keep Wilson.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 88
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 11
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 54
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)