Oct 12, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
C.J. Wilson is on the verge of hitting the open market and signing a massive long-term contract as a free agent, but Rangers president Nolan Ryan said yesterday that the team won’t attempt to negotiate with him until after the season.
“We don’t believe in negotiating during the season, so we have put that on hold until after we’re through playing and we’ll start talking to C.J. and his agent and see where they are and what their thoughts are,” Ryan told Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas. “We’re totally focused on what we’re doing in trying to get to the World Series and trying to win the World Series and so that’s where our priority is.”
Ultimately there’s very little chance of Wilson agreeing to re-sign with the Rangers before testing the market anyway, so the timing and the Rangers’ policy against negotiating during the season probably don’t change things much.
Texas certainly kept rolling despite the loss of Cliff Lee last winter, but losing your No. 1 starter in back-to-back offseasons is tough to withstand. Of course, that doesn’t mean giving Wilson, say, a five-year, $75 million contract is automatically a smart move and there’s been some talk that the Rangers will pursue Japanese ace Yu Darvish if they can’t keep Wilson.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 0
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 16
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 50
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 62
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 30
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 93
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (93)