Red Sox “widely expected” to name Ben Cherington new GM

Oct 12, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT

ben cherington red sox

Theo Epstein has reportedly agreed to a five-year, $15 million contract with the Cubs, which means the Red Sox are now in search of a new general manager.

However, according to Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com that search won’t take long, as vice president of player personnel Ben Cherington “is widely expected” to replace Epstein as GM.

Cherington is from New Hampshire and has been with the Red Sox since 2002, previously sharing GM duties with Jed Hoyer when Epstein took a three-month break from the role in 2005.

McAdam reports that Cherington “has been in on a number of high-level meetings with team ownership since the Red Sox’s season crashed and burned on the final day of the season.”

I’m sure time will show that Cherington and Epstein are different in many ways, but the overall approach to team-building and player analysis probably won’t change a ton. After all, just a couple years ago I sat next to Cherington at a SABR convention presentation about assessing player value for midseason trades. It’s safe to say he’s a stat-head, just like Epstein and most of the Red Sox’s front office.

1. lovesmesomeme - Oct 12, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Varitek, Wakefield,papi, and JD thanks for everything but take your combined $300 million and have a great life.
    Lackey: get out
    Carl:we effed up how does Anaheim sound
    Gonzalez: shut up about get away days and quotes like “it must be Gods will we lost.” Quit invoking God when you choke.
    Youk:STFU and quit alienating Ellsbury, he’s better than you.
    The other three idiots in the beer video:are you effing kidding me, show some pride.

John, Larry, Tom and Ben: no more guranteed contracts in excess of three years. Build a winner and they will be dying to come and play for you.

I’m here all day if you need me.

• aaronmoreno - Oct 12, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Who wouldn’t want to be the GM for the best fans in the game?

• aceshigh11 - Oct 12, 2011 at 10:52 AM

What did he say that was so objectionable?

Being a fan doesn’t mean standing by and cheering while mediocrity takes hold and out-of-shape, disinterested players tank a playoff run.

• pmcenroe - Oct 12, 2011 at 10:48 AM

No premier FA is going to be dying to play there with a contract of less than 3 years

• bozosforall - Oct 12, 2011 at 10:55 AM

You are the only one who loves you some you. That’s because you are a buffoon.

• lovesmesomeme - Oct 12, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Good one

• vickadelphiaphreedom - Oct 12, 2011 at 11:16 AM

“John, Larry, Tom and Ben: no more guranteed contracts in excess of three years. ”

That’s baseball bro….guaranteed contracts. You had me up until that “point”.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 12, 2011 at 11:52 AM

He said in excess of three years, not guaranteed ever…

• lovesmesomeme - Oct 12, 2011 at 12:59 PM

So if I retract that line will you be back on board? Because I’ll do it dude, just gimme the word and it’s done

• Panda Claus - Oct 12, 2011 at 1:20 PM

There’s no edit function, you can’t retract anything.

Call me wacky, but most of what you said sounds rational to me. Keep in mind I’m an O’s fan so my reality is different than yours.

• paperlions - Oct 12, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Yes, but if you won’t go for more than 3 years…you won’t sign anyone…”that’s baseball bro”

2. bozosforall - Oct 12, 2011 at 10:54 AM

That’s what Brian Cashman has always said about his job with the Yankees.

3. hansob - Oct 12, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Looking at that picture of Ben Cherington, I all of the sudden feel the need to buy some insurance.

4. kiwicricket - Oct 12, 2011 at 12:08 PM

“I sat next to Cherington at a SABR convention presentation”
    -So the new Red-Sox Gm wears cargo-shorts?

5. Marty - Oct 12, 2011 at 3:29 PM

A monkey can be the GM of the second highest payroll in baseball.

Same goes for the fans.

• bobwsc - Oct 12, 2011 at 7:18 PM

why crap on an entire fan base? should we consider all the fans that root for your team “dolts” because you’re one?

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win