Oct 12, 2011, 7:08 PM EST
Now some recovery timetables are pouring in.
According to MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki, Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr. said Wednesday evening that Howard will be back to playing at the level he’s accustomed to within 5-6 months. That still puts the start of his 2012 season in doubt, but there were early estimates suggesting he might miss the entire year. And it appears we can now put those to rest.
Howard, 31, batted .253/.346/.488 with 33 home runs and 116 RBI in 152 regular-season games before going 2-for-21 the Phillies’ NLDS loss to the Cardinals. He’s owed $125 million over the next five seasons.
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers 12
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 22
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 39
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 38
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)