Oct 12, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT
From hope-for-the-future to organizational guy? Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr. said Tuesday that he’d like outfielder Domonic Brown to spend another full season at Triple-A.
Brown certainly hasn’t busted out in his 280 major league plate appearances, but man, he’s 24 now and he has never truly been given the chance to have a big league job for anything close to an extended period of time. No, I suppose you can’t just let a kid learn on the job when you’re a playoff contender, but it sure seems like a seventh minor league season for Brown would be something of a waste.
If the Phillies see him as part of their future, he needs to be given a job and a chance to sink or swim. If they don’t see him in their future plans, any more minor league time would take whatever shine there is left on his prospect status and would hurt his trade value.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)