Oct 13, 2011, 12:46 PM EDT
Alex Avila has been behind the plate for every Tigers playoff game despite injuring his knee stepping on Robinson Cano‘s foot in Game 3 of the ALDS, but his limp has becoming increasingly obvious of late and his production at the plate has been non-existent.
Avila hit .295 with 19 homers and an .895 OPS during the regular season, but is just 2-for-33 (.061) with 14 strikeouts in nine playoff games and manager Jim Leyland demoted him to the No. 8 spot in the lineup for today’s must-win Game 5.
Avila has downplayed the severity of the injury, but Leyland admitted to Jason Beck of MLB.com that “Alex is banged up pretty good” and there’s been plenty of speculation that he’s playing through something significant because Victor Martinez is unable to catch due to his own knee problems and Leyland certainly doesn’t want Omir Santos in the lineup.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 41
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 74
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (84)