Oct 13, 2011, 12:16 AM EDT
well-thought-out response to that question:
“That’s something I gotta think about,” Ortiz said. “I’ve been here on the Red Sox a long time, and I’ve seen how everything goes down between these two ballclubs. It’s great [in New York] from what I hear. It’s a good situation to be involved in. Who doesn’t want to be involved in a great situation where everything goes the right way?”
Ortiz just finished up a five-year contract with the Red Sox, so he’s free to sign with any club. But will the Yankees really have interest in bringing the veteran slugger aboard?
Sure, Ortiz might be able to feast on the short right-field porch at Yankee Stadium. But his versatility is a real issue, as is his age. The Yankees already need open playing time at DH next season for aging stars like Alex Rodriguez and Derek Jeter. Then there’s Jesus Montero, who carries defensive concerns at catcher.
Ortiz told ESPN that “there’s too much drama” right now in Boston and that he might not want to be “part of this drama for next year.” But he’s not going to be as highly coveted as he might think.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 36
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 57
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)