Leyland: Jose Valverde, Joaquin Benoit not available tonight

Oct 13, 2011, 12:32 PM EDT

Jose Valverde AP

Jim Leyland just did his little meet-and-greet with the media and said that Jose Valverde and Joaquin Benoit will not pitch in today’s potential elimination game. Or, to quote Leyland:

“I want to try to get through this game with Verlander and Coke”

I presume he means Phil, but for as dicey as this series is getting for the Tigers, who knows?

Seriously, though, he’s just facing facts here.  Benoit and Valverde can’t have a thing left in the tank given how much they’ve been used lately.  This is Justin Verlander‘s game to win or lose. And to that end I put the over/under on how many pitches he throws at approximately three trillion.  Really, we might just see his arm fall clean off in this game. And even as it dangles by a tendon, it’s probably the best option Jim Leyland has.

1. kopy - Oct 13, 2011 at 12:38 PM

With enough Coke, there’s no telling how many pitches Verlander can throw.

• jimbo1949 - Oct 13, 2011 at 12:42 PM

quicker fingers. beaucoup ups

• Kyle - Oct 13, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Well played, sir.

2. derekjetersmansion - Oct 13, 2011 at 12:42 PM

We’re going to see Verlander throw 150 pitches…through 6 innings.

3. leylandhater - Oct 13, 2011 at 12:56 PM

I was hoping that Leyland wouldn’t be available for tonight’s game.

4. aceshigh11 - Oct 13, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Well, Mr. Leyland…you’ve done gone and effed yourself real good, now.

I wasn’t too invested in this series either way, but I was pulling for the Tigers.

It’ll quite ironic if the Rangers end up winning the World Series WITHOUT Cliff Lee this year.

• dodger88 - Oct 13, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Agreed regarding Lee. Phils and Rangers both lost the WS with him and Rangers win this year would mean each won a WS without him. Gotta love baseball.

5. Kyle - Oct 13, 2011 at 2:05 PM

If Verlander goes the distance tonight I think the narrative might give birth to an entire army of sub-narratives and take over the internet.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey