Oct 13, 2011, 3:07 PM EDT
Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas has a scoop: Ron Washington, a sunflower seed addict, got the monkey off his back in Game 4 and went with gum instead. Why?
Washington normally goes through two bags of sunflower seeds (usually ranch flavored). But his wife, Gerry, doesn’t like the way Washington looks on camera when he’s chewing them. “I was getting pressure put on me,” Washington said. “She said, ‘Everybody eats seeds, but nobody looks like you.'”
Nobody really looks like Ron Washington anyway, so I suppose that’s academic. Well, this guy does. Anyway, good luck to Washington. One day at a time, Ron. One day at a time.
Speaking of how people look on camera in these playoffs, I noticed last night that Fox is already overdosing on those hyper-closeups during critical points of the game. I can’t say I miss that. At all. Ever. Easily the most annoying thing to ever happen to baseball broadcasts.
It’s to the point where I hope there are people in the stands who hold their hands together like they’re praying and put worried looks on their face for the explicit purpose of punking a Fox cameraman into going in tight on them only to immediately moon him or flip him the bird or something.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (247)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)