Ron Washington: seedless

Oct 13, 2011, 3:07 PM EDT

Ron Washington

Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas has a scoop:  Ron Washington, a sunflower seed addict, got the monkey off his back in Game 4 and went with gum instead. Why?

Washington normally goes through two bags of sunflower seeds (usually ranch flavored). But his wife, Gerry, doesn’t like the way Washington looks on camera when he’s chewing them.  “I was getting pressure put on me,” Washington said. “She said, ‘Everybody eats seeds, but nobody looks like you.'”

Nobody really looks like Ron Washington anyway, so I suppose that’s academic.  Well, this guy does. Anyway, good luck to Washington. One day at a time, Ron. One day at a time.

Speaking of how people look on camera in these playoffs, I noticed last night that Fox is already overdosing on those hyper-closeups during critical points of the game.  I can’t say I miss that. At all. Ever. Easily the most annoying thing to ever happen to baseball broadcasts.

It’s to the point where I hope there are people in the stands who hold their hands together like they’re praying and put worried looks on their face for the explicit purpose of punking a Fox cameraman into going in tight on them only to immediately moon him or flip him the bird or something.

1. conglardina - Oct 13, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Washington caught eating seeds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jRnBSECUTA

• SmackSaw - Oct 13, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Put down the bong. Fat, lazy and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

• conglardina - Oct 13, 2011 at 4:44 PM

His wifes name is Jerry?

• conglardina - Oct 13, 2011 at 3:53 PM

whoops…wrong wideo, sorry!

• conglardina - Oct 13, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Can you get coke in seed form?

• conglardina - Oct 13, 2011 at 7:10 PM

If they were playing the Mariners, he’d be Seedless in Seattle.

2. Kyle - Oct 13, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Hyper-closeups, making baseball players look uglier than they already are since 1993.

3. kander013 - Oct 13, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Sunflower seeds? Isn’t this the same manager who failed MLB’s drug test for cocaine? The way he looks is the least of his concerns, at least seeds and gum are better than coke.

4. 4d3fect - Oct 13, 2011 at 3:27 PM

that’s an ugly little dwarf ya got there Craig.

5. errorcard - Oct 13, 2011 at 3:28 PM

The fan closeup shots are the absolute worst. TBS is guilty of it too. When I am at a game, I don’t turn and stare at the other fans in my section, and not just because it would be creepy. Show the darn game!

6. crazyyankee - Oct 13, 2011 at 3:31 PM

i dont like those close-ups either but actually the worst thing is the catcher cam buried in the dirt so we get great closeups of their bulging gear.

7. Old Gator - Oct 13, 2011 at 3:32 PM

I don’t know – seems to me that if Morgan Freeman were decapitated by Sepik River cannibals and had his head shrunk, it would look a lot like Ron Washington.

8. jason9696 - Oct 13, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Maybe he can start smoking crack again so he wouldn’t get so excited in the dugout.

9. b7p19 - Oct 13, 2011 at 3:57 PM

From what I understand, lot’s of men his age are “seedless.”

• conglardina - Oct 13, 2011 at 3:59 PM

looool

10. drmonkeyarmy - Oct 13, 2011 at 4:15 PM

With all due respect Craig, the most annoying thing to happen to baseball broadcasts is Tim McCarver. Hands down.

11. pastortodd78 - Oct 13, 2011 at 4:36 PM

drmonkeyarmy that is the truest and smartest comment ever posted on the Internet. McCarver is a joke! Surely there is a better person for that job somewhere, like maybe BOB COSTAS. I think Costas and Peter Gammons should do the world series every year!

12. bilaterallegweakness - Oct 13, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Everyone is jumping on the coke angle of this (and rightfully so), but TWO BAGS a game!? It’s amazing the guy can even talk to the media after a game. I eat half a bag and feel like I need a new tongue and cheeks afterwards.

13. frankvzappa - Oct 13, 2011 at 5:17 PM

He still looks pretty seedy to me.

14. antlerclaws - Oct 13, 2011 at 5:25 PM

What’s as annoying to me as the extreme close-ups and fans praying shots are the way they have the microphones on the bases. Every time someone steps on the bag is makes this godawful sound. The first base umpire was using his shoe to clean mud off the base last night and it sounded like someone running a snorting horse through a blender during a hurricane. Or something like that. Un-mic the bases, please, I’m not sure what we’re supposed to get out of it, anyway.

15. cur68 - Oct 13, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Chews and spews seeds like a machine gun.

16. Jonny 5 - Oct 14, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Ron Washington is my second favorite manager in baseball.
    His wife needs to just relax and allow him to do as he pleases. Just sit at home and enjoy the riches woman…..

17. dadawg77 - Oct 14, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Fan close-ups are bad but the most annoying thing on a baseball and football telecasts is Joe Buck with Timmy coming in at second.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3022)