Oct 13, 2011, 10:34 AM EDT
This is squarely in “deep thoughts” territory. And by that I mean it’s a really, really shallow thought. But I couldn’t help wonder last night, as I saw Mike Napoli block the plate on the Cabrerea play and as he threw out Austin Jackson on that steal, whether Mike Scioscia was kicking his television.
No, those couple of good plays don’t make Napoli into a great defensive catcher or anything. But given that he was basically run out of Anaheim because Scioscia didn’t like his defense — and given that one could argue that the falloff from Napoli to Mathis made the difference in the Angels’ season — it has to feel pretty good to be Mike Napoli right now.
Well, aside from the post traumatic stress disorder borne of Miguel Cabrera “running” him down last night, that is.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12