Oct 13, 2011, 11:19 AM EST
Yovani Gallardo is a fantastic pitcher, but he struggled against the Cardinals last night in what has become a career-long pattern versus St. Louis.
Jordan Schelling of MLB.com crunched the numbers and found that Gallardo is 1-8 with a 5.78 ERA in 12 career starts against the Cardinals compared to 53-27 with a 3.32 ERA in 107 starts against everyone else.
What’s amazing about those terrible career numbers versus the Cardinals is that Gallardo threw eight shutout, one-hit innings against them back in May for the lone win in that 1-8 mark. In his other 11 starts versus St. Louis he’s 0-8 with a 6.56 ERA.
And if the Brewers can extend the series Gallardo will take the mound in Game 7 versus Chris Carpenter.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 13
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)