Oct 14, 2011, 11:15 AM EDT
For months now the Dodgers’ attempts to get a new television contract have made headlines, but Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Angels may be nearing a new TV deal of their own with FOX Sports.
According Shaikin in a recent court filing on behalf of MLB media consultant Ed Desser noted that “the Los Angeles Angels are expected to close a new transaction.”
Desser, the Angels, and FOX Sports declined to elaborate further, but a source told Shaikin that the two sides “have had dialogue about a new deal for an extended period of time.”
Shaikin speculates that the Angels might be able to secure a deal similar to the 20-year, $1.6 billion commitment FOX Sports gave the Rangers last year, which would be an increase of about $30 million per season compared to their current deal and could have a huge impact on the team’s future payroll.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 35
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 16
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 61
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29