Oct 14, 2011, 11:15 AM EST
For months now the Dodgers’ attempts to get a new television contract have made headlines, but Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Angels may be nearing a new TV deal of their own with FOX Sports.
According Shaikin in a recent court filing on behalf of MLB media consultant Ed Desser noted that “the Los Angeles Angels are expected to close a new transaction.”
Desser, the Angels, and FOX Sports declined to elaborate further, but a source told Shaikin that the two sides “have had dialogue about a new deal for an extended period of time.”
Shaikin speculates that the Angels might be able to secure a deal similar to the 20-year, $1.6 billion commitment FOX Sports gave the Rangers last year, which would be an increase of about $30 million per season compared to their current deal and could have a huge impact on the team’s future payroll.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (96)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)