Oct 14, 2011, 11:15 AM EST
For months now the Dodgers’ attempts to get a new television contract have made headlines, but Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Angels may be nearing a new TV deal of their own with FOX Sports.
According Shaikin in a recent court filing on behalf of MLB media consultant Ed Desser noted that “the Los Angeles Angels are expected to close a new transaction.”
Desser, the Angels, and FOX Sports declined to elaborate further, but a source told Shaikin that the two sides “have had dialogue about a new deal for an extended period of time.”
Shaikin speculates that the Angels might be able to secure a deal similar to the 20-year, $1.6 billion commitment FOX Sports gave the Rangers last year, which would be an increase of about $30 million per season compared to their current deal and could have a huge impact on the team’s future payroll.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 28
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 58
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)