Oct 14, 2011, 8:40 AM EST
WEEI’s John Dennis reports that talks between the Red Sox and Cubs regarding compensation for GM Theo Epstein have not gone well so far. I’m picturing this:
Red Sox: Give us Starlin Castro
Cubs: No. Take Carlos Zambrano.
Red Sox: No. Give us $10 million.
Cubs: No. Take Alfonso Soriano.
And on and on.
I’ve searched and searched and I can’t figure out what happens if they remain at an impasse. My presumption is that an arbitrator or the league or someone would step in and just deem what proper compensation is, but I could be wrong. I mean, it’s not like (a) anyone can force Epstein to continue to be the Red Sox’ GM (and the Red Sox wouldn’t want him to be that now); and (b) there is no tangible price that the Cubs could pay that would compensate Boston. It’s gonna happen, we just don’t know how.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 74
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)