Oct 14, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
The knives that have been out for Theo Epstein and Terry Francona over the past few days has been great fun. Only problem is that it obscures the fact that, hey, those guys did more for Red Sox baseball in the past few years than anyone else had for the previous 80+.
The response to that has been “anyone coulda done it!” Bah. As Andrew Mooney of the Globe notes in his “In defense of Theo” story today, even if you’re a hardliner and believe that Epstein benefited from Dan Duquette’s work in winning that 2004 title, the 2007 title was authored by him and the people who worked under him.
I can’t help but think that everyone in Boston is gonna wake up one day and realize that they’ve let their manager and GM go a bit too easily.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 23
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 35
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 41
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)