Oct 14, 2011, 12:19 PM EDT
Texas bulked up its bullpen at the trade deadline, acquiring Mike Adams, Koji Uehara, and Mike Gonzalez to go alongside Neftali Feliz, Alexi Ogando, and Darren Oliver in what’s now arguably the best, deepest group of relievers in baseball.
However, after dominating with the Orioles for the past one-and-a-half seasons Uehara has been a mess with the Rangers, losing Ron Washington’s confidence and then struggling when asked to get outs in low-leverage situations.
Uehara was fantastic in Baltimore, throwing 91 innings with a 2.27 ERA and ridiculous 117/13 K/BB ratio after moving from the rotation to the bullpen in 2010, but he served up five homers in 18 regular season innings following a July 30 trade to Texas and has allowed a homer in each of his three postseason outings.
“Obviously, Washington gave me three chances to prove myself, but I haven’t been able to produce,” Uehara told Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas. “I feel badly. I’m struggling right now.”
Part of why I liked the Rangers’ move to pick up Uehara from the Orioles is that he’s signed through next season at a reasonable $4 million salary. That doesn’t sound like such a great thing given his sudden inability to keep the ball in the ballpark and my guess is Uehara won’t get many more chances to turn things around in the playoffs, but he was one of the most effective relievers in baseball for nearly two seasons and he’ll come in handy again next year, particularly if Feliz moves into the rotation.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 7
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 15
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 36
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)