Oct 14, 2011, 11:47 AM EST
After interviewing several potential candidates, including former Nationals manager Jim Riggleman, the Mets have settled on former A’s manager Bob Geren as their new bench coach, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com.
Geren was fired by Oakland in June after compiling a 334-376 (.470) record in four-plus seasons, but has previous ties to the various former A’s staffers currently in the Mets’ front office.
Riggleman was minor-league teammates with Mets manager Terry Collins during their time as players in the Dodgers’ farm system, but apparently that wasn’t enough to land him the job after abruptly quitting the Nationals in June due to a contract dispute with general manager Mike Rizzo.
This year’s Mets bench coach, Ken Oberkfell, was let go as part of a coaching staff shakeup earlier this month.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 112
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 19
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 208
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (209)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)